Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for all the tips on pics. My polish crosses are very special there goldlace mom would come running to me the second she saw me and their barred rock papa was one of
Three eggs his mother was sitting while kill by a preditor finished in an incubator. He was friends with my dog they would sit by my feet togather when I was on the porch. The paren ts were killed a few weeks ago in their coop bymy neighbors pig who broke in to steel chicken food an flatten them.

So I was wondering if I was to get a sultan rooster and put with my polish hens that would be a crossbreed correct even though they are both breeds with top hats
Yes they would be a cross, the main issue is sultans have feathered feet & fifth toe, polish do not so the cross would have undesirable traits for polish breeding and lacking foot features for sultan breeding.... but would be adorable as a pet bird, they are no doubt related but are two seperate breeds

So excited :celebrate
Got my first eggs from my polish over the last three days. They look too cute and small to eat compared to my Amber lady eggs!!

Last edited:
My polish has not been doing well the lat couple days. I brought her inside when I noticed her loss of appetite and fluffed up feathers yesterday morning. She's been in a box with food and water since then and has started occasionally eating but never fills her crop. Her poop is very green and firm and I have yet to see even one of those sticky cecal droppings since I brought her in. I gave her a drop of polyvisol twice daily.

Last night she finally let me touch her belly, and it feels like there is something hard in there. I'm guessing she is egg bound so I gave her a Epsom salt bath and added powdered egg shells to her feed. I have also periodically been massaging her belly today(which is making her poop a lot), and twice used Vaseline and a glove to put a finger into her vent and try to massage it. She has yet to lay an egg so I'm worried that if she is egg bound, that she may not be able to pass this egg.

Anyone have advice to offer beyond what I am doing?

My polish has not been doing well the lat couple days. I brought her inside when I noticed her loss of appetite and fluffed up feathers yesterday morning. She's been in a box with food and water since then and has started occasionally eating but never fills her crop. Her poop is very green and firm and I have yet to see even one of those sticky cecal droppings since I brought her in. I gave her a drop of polyvisol twice daily.

Last night she finally let me touch her belly, and it feels like there is something hard in there. I'm guessing she is egg bound so I gave her a Epsom salt bath and added powdered egg shells to her feed. I have also periodically been massaging her belly today(which is making her poop a lot), and twice used Vaseline and a glove to put a finger into her vent and try to massage it. She has yet to lay an egg so I'm worried that if she is egg bound, that she may not be able to pass this egg.

Anyone have advice to offer beyond what I am doing?

OMG! If that happened to one of my 3 hens I'd be sitting in the vet's office with her! Eggbound is usually relaxed with a long warm sitz bath but if that didn't work I wouldn't hesitate to take her to a vet. My vet is so very good about making accurate diagnosis and treataments when we take our hens in to him.
I hope your girl gets better!

Last edited:
Quote: Sadly we dont have any great poultry vets in my area. The few vets that will see a chicken at all charge insane amounts that I can't afford. $300 just to get in the door!
hit.gif

I tried to put her outside today to see how she was doing, but my usually independent and frisky hen was so clingy she just wanted to make quiet cheeping sounds and sit on my foot. I brought her right back in after that and have her in another bath next to me right now.

Wow! I will count my blessings with my vet then. $35 for a visit to have him look at a chicken. First he reminds me that he's not a poultry vet, then I remind him that he's more of one than I am. Once we get that out of the way, he treats my birds. We go through the same conversation every time. I do love Doc.
smile.png

The stares in the waiting room are priceless.

Back
Top Bottom