Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never had a Wyans - only had a lot of feedback on them enough to know they wouldn't fit in my flock mix. Never had an EE but have had a couple Ameraucanas and those are kooky spooky jittery jumpy wary very alert birds that will avoid conflict at all cost yet make excellent guardians/sentinels always moving watching and scanning for predators - and really sweet once you get them tamed and they'll fall asleep in your arms. I love Dom chicks - the funniest most active chick breed I've ever had and afraid of practically nothing or no one. We had one that would scream if we left a room and when we came back she did her happy little chirps again - a real people person.

I have two different kinds of wyandottes in the flock. Which they are still young, but the adult hens seem to take to them just fine. I had never had a EE before either, but I do have three Ameraucanas. Only one is the way you talk, but my other two are totally different from that. I wasn't able to raise my two Doms, I got them when they were older. That is funny about your little chick, but cute.

I have two different kinds of wyandottes in the flock. Which they are still young, but the adult hens seem to take to them just fine. I had never had a EE before either, but I do have three Ameraucanas. Only one is the way you talk, but my other two are totally different from that. I wasn't able to raise my two Doms, I got them when they were older. That is funny about your little chick, but cute.

I know as pullets most chicks/juvies get along pretty well. It's when they mature that the different characteristics emerge. Our Leghorns were lovely as pullets and one got as old as 3 years before she went bonkers on flockmates. Leghorns are rather assertive as a breed in general and considered ourselves lucky to get one that stayed gentle for that long before we had to re-home her. I got 50/50 temperament feedback on Wyans so I decided not to try such a large chicken in my smaller breeds flock. I found through feedback and my own experience that the Ameraucana are slow to mature and will always be a jittery jumpy predator-savvy breed but they are great for being non-combative in a flock and not really interested in flock politics - now I speak of hens as I've not had experience with cockerels like my friend. Both my Ameraucanas have remained standoffish with humans or flockmates but will approach for treats, and once held will settle down in our arms and coo and talk or fall asleep. Amers are not attacking birds like some hens one might try to handle. Crested/bearded Polish seem like real sweeties but I have two bearded/crested Silkies already and one fully muffed/bearded Ameraucana (my 2nd one had to be put down), so now I have a Breda that has no crest, no beard, no muff, no comb (not even a little one!) - what a difference from all my crested fluffy-headed breeds and she is very sweet-tempered. My understanding is Breda remain this way into adulthood. She's quite clingy wanting to follow me around and always sits at my feet under the table. She has the whole room to choose but sits on top of my slippers at rest. The only other juvie to do that was my Dom. My DH says the Breda thinks I'm her "flock." It's going to be sad when she is old enough to start integrating into the main flock and no longer in the house.

I had a wonderful grey EE that my little brother named wormy. She would follow us around begging to be pet, or check us for treats. She was the only one that survived a dog attack. Sadly, the new birds that we bought brought cocci and she died shortly. If only we had known what it was then.
1f622.png

I had a wonderful grey EE that my little brother named wormy. She would follow us around begging to be pet, or check us for treats. She was the only one that survived a dog attack. Sadly, the new birds that we bought brought cocci and she died shortly. If only we had known what it was then.
1f622.png

With new birds I quarantine 2-4 weeks, take a fecal sample immediately to the vet, and that way I know if they need worming or cocci treatment which are the 2 most common things we can't see with the naked eye but can kill a chicken if untreated. I lost a couple new juvies because I didn't follow this practice but with owning chickens you eventually learn these things but sadly sometimes at the expense of the poor chicklets. My last breeder told me she was seeing lice and had treated the birds with pyrethrin (??) so that when I got the bird I knew immediately to start her on Poultry Protector spray as followup. I appreciate a breeder that gives you a heads-up if they wormed or had to treat a bird for something prior to shipping. In any event new birds here will get quarantined and have fecal tests as soon as received. Many breeders don't give you a heads-up because they don't want you to think they have sick birds but cocci, worms, and parasites are common and so easily treated that I don't know why breeders should feel that way. Sometimes they assume you know you're supposed to automatically treat and quarantine your birds and don't tell you about any malady at their end.

Yes. We probably should have been more worried about her safety than her being lonely.

After giving myself a little adjustment grieving I will bridge the void of a lost girl by getting a new pullet. It's what I did this last month and we are enjoying our new girl - but not without incident. She did test positive for cocci so we were able to begin treatment immediately. She was peppy from the first day and unafraid of us and ran up to us when she heard us shaking the feed container but after we started the Corid (cocci treatment) she was lethargic for a couple days. She's been on it a few days and is back to her chipper self again. Such a joy to fill the void from losing our other beautiful girl.

Yes I am currently using corid on my flock. We don't usually, but with all this rain, a couple of birds became ill. We lost 2 and 3 more were rehabilitated
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom