POLL TIME How Long Do Incubators Last?

How long has your incubator worked well?

• Total voters
I've had approximately 50-60 unique individual incubators over the past 8 years. I've used most of them several times, and they have averaged lasting 4-5 years. This is my latest one, a black Australorp model now 5 years old, currently incubating 10 eggs scheduled to hatch in 8 days.
20230627_113228.jpg

That's the best I can offer since I've never had need for an artificial incubator.:p But I did vote "4-5 years" since that seems to be the average number of years my hens have continued to go broody. I find that interesting because it's also the current leading number of years in your poll.

I have a Magicfly incubator. https://www.amazon.com/Magicfly-Dig...eywords=egg+incubators&qid=1688667622&sr=8-81

I've had it for about a year and half, and I've done four hatches so far. First was for geese, and the eggs barely fit in the thing, but I made do. Second hatch was four chicks. Third had 21 eggs (yes, I know it reccomended 9 - 12... :th), fourth was finishing up some eggs that my hen abandoned. It was only on for a couple days for the last one. Third incubation had some issues where the bator shut off several times, on top of losing power for about a half hour, but that could have been due to my unfortunate overstuffing. It doesn't have a thermometer or a hydrometer, but it's done a great job so far.

I've had approximately 50-60 unique individual incubators over the past 8 years. I've used most of them several times, and they have averaged lasting 4-5 years. This is my latest one, a black Australorp model now 5 years old, currently incubating 10 eggs scheduled to hatch in 8 days.
View attachment 3566162

That's the best I can offer since I've never had need for an artificial incubator.:p But I did vote "4-5 years" since that seems to be the average number of years my hens have continued to go broody. I find that interesting because it's also the current leading number of years in your poll.

If mine were anywhere near as reliable as my incubators, I'd be right there along with you! But no, they want to brood at the most inconvenient times like mid-winter, or just after I've hatched in the incubator but too late to adopt the chicks. :rolleyes: This year, I was so sure I'd have plenty of broodies to help me hatch eggs because I have three hens that generally all go broody together late spring to early summer and never quit until they go into molt in late summer to early fall, but this year, of course, they all decided they didn't even want to brood! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom