Polly’s Problem

Earthling3

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2022
Hi all! My hen (20 wk old fully vaccinated ex comercial) appears to have two rather large eggs stuck way back in her oviduct.
It feels like one is low down and the other is on top. I’m waiting on a vet appointment tomorrow but that will be over 48 hours after we first found the stuck egg. She’s had Epsom salt soaks, lubricant on the vent, gentle massage, all the foods I could find might help online and still nothing. She’s straining and shouting on occasion but still chipper if tired. Also walking normally, eating etc. she’s pooping again now- I turned the egg and she kind of exploded.
I’m at a loss as to what else I can do.
With a. Glove I can feel both clearly through her vent and the lower one through her tummy. The lower feels huge and abnormally shaped.
She’s trying so hard and audibly straining in her breath. Standing on one leg most of the time although not one in particular.
Any ideas as to what to do would be much appreciated.
She’s such a lovely girl and far too young to have this much pain.
She’s had a quarter of an aspirin too. She’s back in her run now as separating her in her own dark/quiet nesting area didn’t seem to do much good. What else can I do?
I really don’t want to give up. She’s so excited about the world. She deserves to get more freedom than 11 days.

Hi all! Thank you so much for your advice. The poor little thing had two massive hard shelled eggs stuck and really wasn’t likely to live. Thankfully the vets managed to remove the eggs with minimal damage by forcing a vent prolapse and then suturing a small tear. After a week of pain meds and antibiotics she was doing well until an infection hit. Probiotics and lots of love helped. She had really poor circulation for a while too. She’s now eating and drinking perfectly and getting stronger by the day. She’s still indoors in part due to how cold and slow she is outdoors, but she’s loving the house chicken life. I think she may be under the impression she’s a dog.
Our vets did a great little video on her including this X-ray of her pre-op. There’s no wonder they wouldn’t come out. Here’s a couple of pics of the size comparison of her eggs as well. Both double or treble yolkers. One had a lot of blood and the other seemed to have tissue that looked like an embryo.

She’s still not 100% but she’s doing amazingly considering how close she came to the great unknown.

Thank you all for your support

Attachments

• B513F355-D8A1-4636-AA29-35CB6469F756.jpeg
    B513F355-D8A1-4636-AA29-35CB6469F756.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 6
  • 84AD5EBA-2491-4D9C-834C-4E298E25A800.jpeg
    84AD5EBA-2491-4D9C-834C-4E298E25A800.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5EEF5C55-0FB6-442D-A72C-A8DC0C543ABE.jpeg
    5EEF5C55-0FB6-442D-A72C-A8DC0C543ABE.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 53C98446-ED89-48E0-87F0-E10E5FEC3F83.jpeg
    53C98446-ED89-48E0-87F0-E10E5FEC3F83.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 5
Hi everyone! Update. Polly had an awesome life after this for almost a year. An unrelated issue took her eventually. But this was entirely recoverable. She was a trooper and had a fabulous sense of humour with the best comic timing. I miss her daily.

Thank you. Me too. But she inspired me to help other birds so I've been doing that ever since. She's still kind of with me
It’s hard when you lose one! When I lost my Daffy to water belly it was so hard! But at least she had a great life I think she enjoyed it!

Back
Top Bottom