Poly-Vi-Sol Vitamins Is this what I use

How long do you treat them. My girl had a respitory problem, k believe. She was making noise and keeping her mouth open. I gave her the Polyvisol and she was better in moments, and seemed all better by the next day...eating and drinking w\no problem. That was 3 days ago that she was ill. I gave her a lil' more of the Vitamin yesterday 8\23\16.Haven't given her anymore this morning. So only 2 days of it. Should I continue?

She was also new to my flock as well as 3 others. Non of them see to have anything wrong. I isolated her-away from the rest of flock.

I think she was being picked on. Not sure when to reintroduce her to the flock again. Should I put her back in the run tonight. Or let her out to free range w\them today?

Any In put is much appreciated. Thank you.

How long do you treat them. My girl had a respitory problem, k believe. She was making noise and keeping her mouth open. I gave her the Polyvisol and she was better in moments, and seemed all better by the next day...eating and drinking w\no problem. That was 3 days ago that she was ill. I gave her a lil' more of the Vitamin yesterday 8\23\16.Haven't given her anymore this morning. So only 2 days of it. Should I continue?

She was also new to my flock as well as 3 others. Non of them see to have anything wrong. I isolated her-away from the rest of flock.

I think she was being picked on. Not sure when to reintroduce her to the flock again. Should I put her back in the run tonight. Or let her out to free range w\them today?

Any In put is much appreciated. Thank you.

I was really lucky at the store. There was only 1 package left & it showed a leak on the side. I asked the mgr if he would discount it. He opened the package in front of me & only a few drops had leaked through the tamper proof plastic & sold it to me for $6.99 instead of $13.99as marked. To make sure they got a small dose, of a few drops, I took a tiny syringe for insulin, from my dad, and injected some live mealworms so they would eat them without thinking. And of course they did. I'm hoping it helps.

You got the kind without iron , right? Next time, just run over to your feed store or Tractor Supply and get a smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. It is specially made for poultry. see here: http://www.nutridrench.com Give each chick one drop only by mouth. Then add to their water for the 1st 2 weeks to get them off to a strong start. The water should look like very weak tea.
Best,
Karen
( who ahs used the Bovidr formulas on my poultry and dogs or over a decade with great success.)

I added Hal's dropper into her water and two drops in her beak. She has a phosophus definicency. This poly vi sol without iron should be helpful I am guessing. How long and often should it be given?

Ok, How much are ya'll paying for a vitamin made for humans instead of chickens?? 10,12, 13 dollars? Yes, I know Poly-Vi-Sol smells the same as Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. I suspect that is how someone got the bright idea that one was as good as the other. Well they are Not the same thing. I wish people on BYC would stop telling folk to go get Poly-Vi-Sol without iron. One is formulated for human infants and one is formulated for baby chicks. No, I have not heard of any chicks dying from being given PVS. My point is it is neither the best nor the cheapest nutritional supplement for baby chicks.
The Bovidr Labs formulas were invented by a cattle breeder who was tired of seeing neonates around the industry stressed and dying from nutritional deficiencies. The poultry formula is made with specific ratios of ingredients directly targeted to the needs of poultry. Yes, you can put it in the water to supplement the chicks nutrition. The Formulas are very concentrated. I would not give a baby chick more than one drop of Drench by mouth per 8-10 hours. I wouldn't do it for PVS either. I get my Poultry Drench at Tractor Supply for abut 6-7 dollars for a small bottle that will last me years. http://www.nutridrench.com
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Around $9 at Target for PVS WITHOUT Iron. Sometimes people find themselves with a curled toe chick (or other problem that could be immediately helped) hatched at 9pm when there are no feed stores open, and don't have any nutridrench at home. At that point, a stand in is better than nothing at all. Ideally we'd all have exactly what we need hanging around, but sometimes you just need to make due with what you can get.

Last edited:
@Shezadandy-Agreed...@3riverschick if it weren't for the Poly-Vi-sol our girl would not be alive (the healthy girl she is) today. She however, was not a baby chick when we gave it to her. She was a 5-6 month old pullet that was seemed to,be very close to taking her last breath. My husband made a run to the nearest Walgreens to get the PVS. It without a doubt was an absolute life saver. We most definitely would recommend it to someone with a teen chick in the same position as we--our girl was in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom