Do you have a poodle!?

• Total voters
I have a silver standard poodle puppy. About 15-16 weeks. Just finished shots, working on basic obedience, loose leash walking, and grooming behavior. Also trying to teach him not to bother the chickens or eat the mulch or chicken poop.

Anyone deworm their own farm dogs? Wondering if I can give my poodle Valbazen or safeguard goat dewormer. He keeps eating random animal poop and stuff outside, and is having random loose stools, so I figure the worms are coming, or are already here.
Personally I always get my wormer from my vet. They will always give you something safe and if your pup has a reaction they are available to help. I learned that lesson decades ago when we used to do our own vaccines and my pup blew up like a balloon. Never again.

Pups seem to thrive on eating every bit of poop they can find. Stopping them can be a big challenge and I often give up micromanaging the issue and randomly yell "stop eating poop", which doesn't necessarily help, but makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Pups in general can have looser stools, especially later in the day. I read it's because of activity. If it's consistently loose you should have a fecal done to check for cocidia and giardia. Some foods higher in fats can also cause loose poops.

Personally I always get my wormer from my vet. They will always give you something safe and if your pup has a reaction they are available to help. I learned that lesson decades ago when we used to do our own vaccines and my pup blew up like a balloon. Never again.

Pups seem to thrive on eating every bit of poop they can find. Stopping them can be a big challenge and I often give up micromanaging the issue and randomly yell "stop eating poop", which doesn't necessarily help, but makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Pups in general can have looser stools, especially later in the day. I read it's because of activity. If it's consistently loose you should have a fecal done to check for cocidia and giardia. Some foods higher in fats can also cause loose poops.
Thank you for the advice! At least he doesn't (yet) eat his own poop. I know we have capillaria (threadworm) and giardia in the ground around the chicken coop and in the mulch that escaped from the coop. Poodles in general and my pup in particular does have family history of a sensitive stomach (mom was allergic to chicken of all things). I wonder if that applies to raw chicken, or just the processed dog food? Was hoping to feed him some "treats" come meat bird processing time. Guess I'll go the vet route with a fecal float because I do worry about him. He's only ever officially had high end dog kibble (except for random stuff he eats in the yard). He's just so young yet. Thanks!

What I have found is some of my dogs get loose stool from eating actual chicken, but have no problem eating Purina foods with chicken. I have been all around the dog food world and finally decided to try Purina a few years ago and I haven't looked back. I try not to discuss dog food with people unless they ask as it's a sensitive topic from what I've seen.

I've read about poodles having sensitive stomachs. Had a few dogs with problems like that. Consistency and lower fat seems to be the best thing I found for them.

They just do their own things. I do have to watch the dogs are remind them (loudly) not to roll in chicken poop but i don't have to worry about them getting along šŸ˜…

Attachments

• 7677C1FE-566C-4D86-A67A-2695572B9F76.jpeg
    7677C1FE-566C-4D86-A67A-2695572B9F76.jpeg
    830.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 3E70EB69-3A0D-4699-B9B3-BDDBD3CC154A.jpeg
    3E70EB69-3A0D-4699-B9B3-BDDBD3CC154A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • E0BAD3B6-22DB-4A5A-B8A3-96CB8DA6C3B7.jpeg
    E0BAD3B6-22DB-4A5A-B8A3-96CB8DA6C3B7.jpeg
    939 KB · Views: 4
  • 3343BD29-128E-4F34-B0CD-74CE8FEE1BED.jpeg
    3343BD29-128E-4F34-B0CD-74CE8FEE1BED.jpeg
    935.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi Dawg, I just found this thread!
I have a standard poodle, rescued him about a year and a half ago.

Attachments

• BA7C7DE4-74F0-4AB1-852C-AA94FAA1F81A.jpeg
    BA7C7DE4-74F0-4AB1-852C-AA94FAA1F81A.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom