Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I love this thread, I have learned lots of tips for my new coop which is being built now. OK so the poop trays should be 24" wide and the trays' frame 1" x 4" my question is about the height of the roost from the tray. Trish mentioned that you don't want to make them too high so the chickens won't sleep under the roost, then there is another post that says it is 8" or 10", can I have some opinions about this? Any help will be very much appreciated.
BTW I started using PDZ in my old coop as soon as I read Trish's thread, I run to the store and bought 2 bags, came home threw the hay away and replaced it with PDZ, I am such a happy camper since then.

I love this thread, I have learned lots of tips for my new coop which is being built now. OK so the poop trays should be 24" wide and the trays' frame 1" x 4" my question is about the height of the roost from the tray. Trish mentioned that you don't want to make them too high so the chickens won't sleep under the roost, then there is another post that says it is 8" or 10", can I have some opinions about this? Any help will be very much appreciated.
BTW I started using PDZ in my old coop as soon as I read Trish's thread, I run to the store and bought 2 bags, came home threw the hay away and replaced it with PDZ, I am such a happy camper since then.

8-10 inches seems to be the best distance for the roost from the board. Any smaller than that and you will have a hard time scooping under the roost. Any taller than that and the girls may have trouble getting up to it or may sleep under it.

A few people have tried higher/lower but most seem to be happy around 10"

Let us know what works best for you!

Trish
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have Bantams so my roost is only 4-6 inches above the poop trays. I do have a roost bar that is a 2x3 that slips into a metal bracket. I got the metal bracket in the joist hanger department at Lowes.

I just finished what bayoudragon did. It was enlightening, now I have all but decided on a coop design. I have already experienced chicken math and our first chicks are shipping 8 April. that said a few questions. Oh we want to keep 12-15 wyandottes as full time residents.

1. How tall a coop? I was was thinking 6' ish.
2. Does the Roost need to be about 1 linear foot per bird? That will determine my outside dimensions. I was thinking 8 x 10
3. Is it OK to put Nesting boxes, food and water under the poop trey?
4. How much space will they need to get up and down? Do I need a ramp? or two?
5. Can someone point me where to look for ideas to keep water from freezing in sub zero temps.

not to much right? This whole thing is making me neurotic!!!

Back
Top Bottom