Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I LOVE IT!!!
wee.gif
I used to raise and show Guinea Pigs (Think Rabbit Shows) and kept my most prized show pigs in the unused formal dining room. We sprinkled the Sweet PDZ in the bottom of the cages under shaveings. No one ever knew they were there unless they opened the fridge, Lol the guinea pigs knew where their carrots came from. That is amazing stuff, and ultra SAFE as GP are very sensitive. Have to admit I never thought to use it in the coops. I'm sooo pumped to have found BYC !!!
highfive.gif

Yup, BYC ROCKS!!!! I have learned so much also. Pretty much anything you could ever want to know about chickens you can find on this website- LOVE IT
love.gif

Trish, finding this thread is like hitting the lottery for "an about to be" chicken owner!
droolin.gif
I am starting to convert an 8x8 section of my barn to a chicken coop this weekend. We will be introducing 11 hens and a rooster to our family in a few weeks and the timing couldn't be more perfect!
ya.gif
We moved out to the country last summer and I have been waiting for this spring with great anticipation and little patience
big_smile.png

Thank you for this post!! I know EXACTLY how I will set up the coop with the roosts and the poop board ... I think I love you
love.gif

woot.gif
Good luck and let us all know how it works for you!!!!
wee.gif

I still haven't found that around here. I have a feeling when I do, it will be pretty expensive too.

So I was thinking that maybe it would be good for my little coops. I could start with those. If I can find it..

Question.... has anyone read whether or not it is okay in the garden? My DH wants all chicken poo in the garden so he asked me if I could find out. I went to their website but didn't find mention of it.

I called my local Agway and they have it in granular form...40 lbs for $14.99.

ETA: I found the info I needed on their site...was just looking in the wrong place. It is good for gardens and the environment. :)

Last edited:
We just recently finished our coop with a poop board. I'd originally used wood shavings on it and was underwhelmed. The shavings shifted around, the chickens slept on the board in the poop and my HUGE BO's flapping to fly up would blow the shavings off. The poop was sticking to the board... What a mess!!

Then I read your post and, in less than an hour, had added a couple of 1x4 boards to create a "tray" and added the PDZ.

What an incredible improvement! I still can't believe what a big difference this has made!

The lip on the board prevents the hens from lounging below the roost, since it's hard for them to grasp the 3/4" wide lip with their feet and there's not enough room for them to stand between the lip and the roost now. I watched the BO (the worst offender) try repeatedly to do so...then she gave up! Score! :lol:

Cleaning the poop with a cat litter scoop takes all of 20 seconds! And I just dump it in a bucket outside to be composted for my garden later. It is absolutely amazing how clean and completely odor-free my coop stays now.

Thank you so much for posting this - you'll never know how much time and aggravation you've saved me!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!! :D

Thank you so much for this thread!!!!!! You can't imagine how happy I am to have stumbled upon it. You have an awesome coop and your idea for the poop board, roost, and PDZ will be a huge help. I am headed for the shop right now to start building! Thanks again!

We just recently finished our coop with a poop board. I'd originally used wood shavings on it and was underwhelmed. The shavings shifted around, the chickens slept on the board in the poop and my HUGE BO's flapping to fly up would blow the shavings off. The poop was sticking to the board... What a mess!!
Then I read your post and, in less than an hour, had added a couple of 1x4 boards to create a "tray" and added the PDZ.
What an incredible improvement! I still can't believe what a big difference this has made!
The lip on the board prevents the hens from lounging below the roost, since it's hard for them to grasp the 3/4" wide lip with their feet and there's not enough room for them to stand between the lip and the roost now. I watched the BO (the worst offender) try repeatedly to do so...then she gave up! Score!
lol.png

Cleaning the poop with a cat litter scoop takes all of 20 seconds! And I just dump it in a bucket outside to be composted for my garden later. It is absolutely amazing how clean and completely odor-free my coop stays now.
Thank you so much for posting this - you'll never know how much time and aggravation you've saved me!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!
big_smile.png

ya.gif
So glad you love it! Thanks for posting your experience, you definitely will inspire others to try it
big_smile.png

Thank you so much for this thread!!!!!! You can't imagine how happy I am to have stumbled upon it. You have an awesome coop and your idea for the poop board, roost, and PDZ will be a huge help. I am headed for the shop right now to start building! Thanks again!

Thanks Midway
love.gif
Have fun building
leisures-and-sports-045.gif

X 1,000,000,000! Saturday I am converting a 9x12 section of my barn to a coop and I will be making it an EXACT replica of how she did hers
thumbsup.gif

I will be posting pics as soon as it's done .. can't wait!
celebrate.gif

l think you will be very pleased with it when you are done tonysorrento. I just finished building my first one and I am very happy with it, and easy to do too! It only took me about 1/2 hour start to finish. I made a 2'x8' frame with 2x4's for the platform, ripped a sheet of plywood in half and nailed it to the frame, added 1x4's around the sides, and built a roost exactly like thespoliedchicken's pictures. Now i just need to get it mounted to the wall in the coop and get some PDZ! I still have that leftover 1/2 sheet of plywood so I think I will make one for the other side of the coop later today. This is really a great idea and I had the materials on hand so it was economical too! Thank you again to Thespoiledchicken for sharing this awesome idea!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm in the process of designing my 'dream' coop on paper right now, and this idea is just awesome! I'll be sure to share my plans once I get them scanned into the computer. Hopefully someone with some drafting skill can turn my graph paper into instructions for me. >_> heh.

Back
Top Bottom