Poop Board - Enough Space to Jump Up and Down?

redriver

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
Building my first coop right now. Want to have a poop board (24" deep). However, my coop is 4'x6', and the roost is going to be the length of the long side (6'). Looking at it today now that the walls are up, I am wondering if they will have enough room with the remaining space (2'x6') to jump up and down. The poop board will be about 2' off the ground, with the roost about 10" above that. I will have a variety of LF, and per city code I can only have six.

So, my questions are:

1) Is the space deep enough for them to jump up and down?

2) If it is not deep enough, can I get away with just 4' of roost space on the short side of the coop for six largish hens?

Thanks in advance!

I also have a small coop and was concerned about the amount of space they had to jump up, but they manage it alright. Also, they all tend to crowd into a very small space to roost as well.

On another note, I was wondering what the heck kind of chicken you had in your avatar, so went to your page to see the enlarged picture. Hahahaha. That is too funny.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The coop is 4 x 8. The roosts are about 18" high as most of my girls are heavy breeds. ( can get bumblefoot from landing hard on their feet) They have no trouble jumping up or down in the space between the roosts. The roosts are 12" from the wall. 24" between roosts in the middle.

Poop boards now replaced with just pooping in the sand. (above picture) I find it easier to scoop the poop. Like a big kitty litter box. On the short side left roost, 6-7 hens can fit comfortably

On another note, I was wondering what the heck kind of chicken you had in your avatar, so went to your page to see the enlarged picture. Hahahaha.  That is too funny. :D

:D
I fought for two years to get hens legal in my town. My birthday was about a month after we finally won, so my in-laws gave me that life sized stuffed chicken. I have hatching eggs in the mail, scheduled to arrive in a day or two. I expect my avatar will change shortly after that.

The coop is 4 x 8. The roosts are about 18" high as most of my girls are heavy breeds. ( can get bumblefoot from landing hard on their feet) They have no trouble jumping up or down in the space between the roosts. The roosts are 12" from the wall. 24" between roosts in the middle. Poop boards now replaced with just pooping in the sand. (above picture) I find it easier to scoop the poop. Like a big kitty litter box. On the short side left roost, 6-7 hens can fit comfortably
About how many feet long is the shorter one? And what is the black stuff around the roost? Sandpaper? Thanks!

About how many feet long is the shorter one? And what is the black stuff around the roost? Sandpaper?

Thanks!

The board is 42 " long. That is indoor/outdoor carpet on there. The vet recommended it for one of my girls who had bumble foot. The roosts are removable. I just hose them down, dry in the sun and remember to put back before they roost for the night.

Back
Top Bottom