Poop Hammock Rocks!!

D.gif
171027d1304392181-bin-laden-dead-thread-useless-without-pictures.gif
D.gif

Ok, maybe not worthless, but it would be really cool to see pictures of both the poop hammock and the poop slide!!

The canvas actually acts to help dry the poop and can be left for a long period of time - when I found this idea the girl who posted lets it go one month! The canvas draws the moisture through and dries the poop - I do it every few days but in the winter its nice to know that I COULD wait a week or so to empty it (or a month if I chose)!

Thank you!!! I was just thinking about pricing some canvas fabric and feeling a little scared lol This idea will save me so much money!
Yep, and the sacks are soooo easily wiped clean or just replaced. I made the mistake of putting lots and lots of staples when I attached the sacks to the wood. That wasn't necessary and will make it harder to replace them. Live and learn. Another thing I found out is that if your roost space is narrow, like mine, their little behinds are really close to the wall, and the poop gets caught between the wall and sack. I just cut a long piece of sack and taped it above with a flap hanging over into the hammock, like a long slide. Works perfectly.

Poop hammock! Why have I not thought about this before! This will change my life. I'm going to have a go at making one tomorrow. Thanks for posting this. Also, it would make a great name for a punk rock band - Rotten Rooster and the Poop Hammocks...

This brings out the question and I thought I'd ask it here first before opening a new thread. After cleaning the hammock I was left with all this nice poo in a bucket. We don't have a composter but would like to use the poo as fertilizer. What do you do with poo without adding it to compost?

This is what I was talking about for the chicks roost. We fixed it on a pivot system so I can pick up and tie it so it will be out of my way to clean under it. Am wondering WHAT I would hook the back one to and then the front one would hook to the front or close to the bottom steps. BUT then unless I add a longer chain to the back all the poop would be at the bottom which I don't guess would be sooo bad. Would be easier to get out I guess since it would fall down to the bottom huh? ;-)

This is exactly how we made our roost as well. I love the idea of putting something under it that I can wash off into a bucket. I just can't figure out the mechanics. So I am interested in seeing if anyone figured out something creative.

Here's our (unfinished) roost. It is attached to heavy duty hinges and raises up to a hook that holds it up so we can clean underneath it:

I get my feed sacks at Big R. All the chicken and dog food sacks made by Purina are the plastic cloth. I don't care for Purina, but theyvdonhave pretty sacks!

My bride came up with a brilliant idea for a poop hammock! We started using an old shower curtain but that was a hassle to attach, take down, re-attach.

We found an old banner from a car dealership promotion that was from 2011. It happened to be exact size to use, has grommets in 6 places, sturdy material.

I used 1/4 in. eye screws, and dual end snaps to attach under the roosts.

For those of you looking for an solution and dont want to use fabric, shade cloth, etc. that will have to be sewn....maybe check with local car dealers and ask of they have old banners that you can have. I work at a dealer and we have lots of them that just end up in the trash...

I will let you know how it works!

Back
Top Bottom