Poop.Help!

Mariakoltsa

Songster
Feb 5, 2019
Australia, QLD
please help this has been going on for a while now .. on and off and now its more n more every day. They poo this.. i wormed them less than two months ago. Its not cocci. started off with one chook doing it and now its most of them. They have diarrhea most of the day. I thought it was kidney issues from too much protein. But now i just give them layer feed and non protein veggies.
F6E4AC98-FE5C-480E-8D36-E655EB4F5A2B.jpeg
8F3A6677-C748-4763-BCA6-E94F455954B2.jpeg
244D75B4-281B-452B-AF74-036B144865CD.jpeg

How old are they? Is it hot where you are? Everyone still eating, drinking, and hanging with the group? Any signs of lethargy?

All urates pass in the dropping so heavy water intake can seem like diarrhea.

Funny enough coccidia are in every dropping, even when it isn't coccidiosis. The only way to know if you have something parasitic going on is get a fecal float done at the vet. What kind of wormer did you use? Did you see reason to use it?

It takes way more than 30% + protein to cause kidney issues. Calcium fed to non layers can also cause it, just in a different form. 16% protein in layer in the MINIMUM need to sustain a light bodied layer like leghorn in laying condition. I feed 20% protein flock raiser with only anout 1% calcium and oyster shell available on the side. Especially if you are being sure to give only non protein snack you may be diminishing protein too far. Dual purpose breed like Marans and Orpington will do best on NOT less than 18% protein. And one way or the other, come hell or high water... NEITHER high calcium or protein will cause birds issues if they are not somehow predisposed genetically AND fed an out of balance diet. Sometimes the really pretty organic feeds cause this issue by them being able to pick out only their favorite pieces like the corn. Again, 16% protein in layer is the minimum. I never aim for minimums... Though I'm not saying that's your issue... just saying don't buy what the fear mongers are selling! *Can* cause problems is not the same as will. :old

I stink at diagnosing dropping! :gig

But I think @casportpony might be our resident poo eggspert. :sick

Hope all is actually well! :fl

How old are they? Is it hot where you are? Everyone still eating, drinking, and hanging with the group? Any signs of lethargy?

All urates pass in the dropping so heavy water intake can seem like diarrhea.

Funny enough coccidia are in every dropping, even when it isn't coccidiosis. The only way to know if you have something parasitic going on is get a fecal float done at the vet. What kind of wormer did you use? Did you see reason to use it?

It takes way more than 30% + protein to cause kidney issues. Calcium fed to non layers can also cause it, just in a different form. 16% protein in layer in the MINIMUM need to sustain a light bodied layer like leghorn in laying condition. I feed 20% protein flock raiser with only anout 1% calcium and oyster shell available on the side. Especially if you are being sure to give only non protein snack you may be diminishing protein too far. Dual purpose breed like Marans and Orpington will do best on NOT less than 18% protein. And one way or the other, come hell or high water... NEITHER high calcium or protein will cause birds issues if they are not somehow predisposed genetically AND fed an out of balance diet. Sometimes the really pretty organic feeds cause this issue by them being able to pick out only their favorite pieces like the corn. Again, 16% protein in layer is the minimum. I never aim for minimums... Though I'm not saying that's your issue... just saying don't buy what the fear mongers are selling! *Can* cause problems is not the same as will. :old

I stink at diagnosing dropping! :gig

But I think @casportpony might be our resident poo eggspert. :sick

Hope all is actually well! :fl

Heyy thank u so much!

Everyone is rating and drinking very well..
one other thing.. what could cause the fact that one chook is laying very thin shelled eggs although they have seperate shell grit. One day i picked up the egg and it broke just from me touching it. Wasnt a soft shell but just sooo thin,
I have given them calcium supplement a couple of times too.

They dont drink too much or too often.. just occasionally, like normal.

Inwormed them because it was time to do the regulr worming. Then did another one a couple weeks later because the watery white droppings became frequent in one chicken and someone suggested it could be worms.
I used the wormout gel which they hate with a passion but i mixed it with baby formula and then it was easy. Did separete single doses.

Okay.
I havent not given protein snacks for only a little bit. I will keep on doing it then :)

I dont buy some crazy organic weird stuff, just a normal but good quality layer mash.
Luckily my chickens dont like dried corn at all? Always left over.

Thank u so much for this? I can stop worrying about the protein then.
I actually thought that because they have occasionally gotten into chick started crumbles that i give my two bantams.. and they have gotten the Neocare baby formula that i have given the bantams aswell because they sometimes dont eat too much because big chooks scare them, so i give it once a week or so, so they get some nutrition, but god forbid the big chooks let the small ones have it all..
They always manage to steal their food.
But they dont get that too often, i try give it to the small ones when i get them at bed time.

Back
Top Bottom