Poop & pecking

Bruins

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Frederick Co, MD
I picked up my chicks yesterday so they are 2-3 days old . I have 7 ( 2 brahms , 2 EE , 2 sussex and 1 RIR ) they are all supposed to be pullets.
Yesterday all their poop seemed a bit soft/blobish but with the stress they went through between shipping to the feed store then coming to my house I can understand why .
Now today there are formed poops but 1 is still having the soft blob type of poop . Is this normal and to be expected ? I do have some save a chick probiotics and the electrolyte/ vitamins . Should I use a packet of the probiotics just to be safe ?

Also 1 of the sussex is a mean one to all the others ( I call her pecker because that is all she does ) . It seems like she goes out of he way to peck all the others . If one is pecking the bin the others run over to see but pecker will peck the face of the others and push them out of the way. If they are lying down she will go over and pick their feet , back or faces .None of the others act this way . Is this just the normal pecking order starting or is she just going to be trouble .

Now I also read that if the markings on the sussex are not clearly defined then it may be a roo . Not sure if that is true but this one definately has blurred markings on it's back .

I picked up my chicks yesterday so they are 2-3 days old . I have 7 ( 2 brahms , 2 EE , 2 sussex and 1 RIR ) they are all supposed to be pullets.
Yesterday all their poop seemed a bit soft/blobish but with the stress they went through between shipping to the feed store then coming to my house I can understand why .
Now today there are formed poops but 1 is still having the soft blob type of poop . Is this normal and to be expected ? I do have some save a chick probiotics and the electrolyte/ vitamins . Should I use a packet of the probiotics just to be safe ?

Also 1 of the sussex is a mean one to all the others ( I call her pecker because that is all she does ) . It seems like she goes out of he way to peck all the others . If one is pecking the bin the others run over to see but pecker will peck the face of the others and push them out of the way. If they are lying down she will go over and pick their feet , back or faces .None of the others act this way . Is this just the normal pecking order starting or is she just going to be trouble .

Now I also read that if the markings on the sussex are not clearly defined then it may be a roo . Not sure if that is true but this one definately has blurred markings on it's back .

Yea seems normal about the poop, mine had runny poop every now and again until they reached about 6 weeks. Giving them probiotics wouldn't hurt though.

As long as pecker is not drawing blood or injuring the other chicks there isnt much to worry about. Just normal establishing the pecking order. My hens and roo do that to this day.

Still a little early to tell about sex.

Back
Top Bottom