Poor little ducky

Stipenvlerk

Crowing
May 22, 2020
The Netherlands
I just introduced myself in the newbie section with my pretty ducks.
I’d like to show them off in the Duck section as wel ofcourse but I also want to share the sad story of my third duckling with you.
First 24hrs went great but after not so much. Didn’t eat well and did not drink from the cup the rest was drinking from because it felt forwards. So I fed it by hand with a syringe, even during the night with short intervals. It started to walk but not very stable. And when it sat down, sometimes it was in normal position but mostly in the position as shown in image attached. Vitamins were added next to the dedicated waterfowl food they got but no difference. It seemed happy until day 5. On day five it had not grown a bit And stopped caring for himself. So tried to wash it but the feathers stayed a bit sticky lets say. And during the night from five to six it was deteriorating even more. Felt over to the side and peeped all the time. So in the morning I decided to stop feeding because it got even skinnier despite the food. And it died a few hours later.
do you think it was a birth defect? Or another problem? My two other duckies seem to be doing great. They are happy and grow like crazy!

if you have any idea what it could have been it can possibly help me from happening again and/or protect the other two. But maybe it was just bad luck.

maybe I should add that I’m familiar with waterfowl and also chickens,
but this is the first time I’m raising ducklings. Greetings from The Netherlands

attachted pictures show:
- size difference on the morning of day 6. (same age ducks)
- my two happy ducks
- the weird position the not so happy duck was sitting in...

Attachments

• 34032070-674D-4F59-98B4-BFED37C08F87.jpeg
    34032070-674D-4F59-98B4-BFED37C08F87.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 10
  • A35B642C-7828-4BEC-9EE8-4971874E7BC0.jpeg
    A35B642C-7828-4BEC-9EE8-4971874E7BC0.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 59CFA380-63A2-4D7E-BC8B-8A75FED4AB76.jpeg
    59CFA380-63A2-4D7E-BC8B-8A75FED4AB76.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 7
@Miss Lydia yes I did... Don’t blame them but just to inform them. I use the same brand food as they do and when I went to collect the little ones, I did see clean housing for the little ones, a bit poor decorated outdoors but with a big pool for the big ones and a happy father duck (well not to happy because he was into “the thing” so much that he was temporarily separated from his ladies) but good and healthy looking. And two females, one a bit terrorized by the male lately but otherwise healthy looking ducks

Back
Top Bottom