Poor math skills + conflicting information = confusion

Avery1623

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I just got my first chickens a few months ago and am trying to figure out how much space they need. I am in WI so the winters are nasty. Right now I have a 3 by 9.5 foot covered outdoor run. I'd like to have the coop and an indoor run inside the garage but am wondering how big I should make it?

I have 4 bantams but 2 are fairly young so if any end up being roos I will have between 2 or 4.

The outdoor run is in a protected area and covered so I hope they will still use it for part of the winter.

What would you recommend size wise for a coop and indoor run area? Thanks for any and all advice!

Here is a picture of the outdoor run.

They shouldn't need too much space, especially if they're bantams. We had a coop probably 3x5x3.5 (last dimension being height), and my birds had plenty of space. You could easily make the 5 a 4 and be fine. I've met people with even smaller coops and their birds were fine. I just like giving mine space :)

Also, I had 5 chickens. 4 regular sized cochins and a bantam.

Last edited:
You may wish to just plan on chicken math at some time, and build as big as you can live with in there. I like room for birds, room for them to show there stuff, stretch out that wing and leg, just enjoy being birds. I suppose there are as many answer as you get respondents. In the end it is you and your management style that will make the decision.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

If you have room within the garage, you might want to consider a two-floor coop. We essentially built a long table and stuck it along the wall of the run, and built a ramp up to it. We put the nesting boxes up there, but you also could use it for a feeding area or just somewhere for them to get away from each other a bit. It can really add to their floor space, but be careful not to get too crazy adding levels because you'll need access to clean too.

Back
Top Bottom