Poorly chick help please

g30rg13

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2023
Hi there

I have 6 1 week old chicks. Unsexed. Old English Pheasant fowls.
5 hatched unassisted on day 21. Moved to brooder altogether after about 10hrs - all fluffy and upright
Final hatched unassisted on day 22. Needed about 24hrs in incubator to dry out then moved to brooder

After 48 hrs in the brooder noticed that number 6 had pretty bad spraddle leg and wasn't getting about / eating and was being trampled by the others. Had got itself out from under the heat plate and was very cold and lethargic.

Put it in a hobble and warmed it up. Seemed to perk up and was hobbling around with the rest trying to eat and drink, but it's still quite small and runty.

Over the last 48 hrs it seems to have deteriorated again. It's still in the hobble (took it out for 24 hrs but it went back to being sprawled on its back).

It's really not interested in eating or drinking even when carried to the food. Having observed with the others it gets regularly knocked over / trampled and sometimes pecked.

Have put it in a box inside the brooder with its own food and water under the heat source - idea being it can still hear / see the rest of the brood but isn't getting hurt. It's totally disinterested in eating or drinking. It hardly has the energy to stand up. Have tried giving scrambled egg and also a sugar solution for an energy boost but it just won't eat

It seems to just be fading away. I'm not sure it's going to last another 24 hrs. Anything else I can try?

Thanks for reading the essay!

You could try feeding a soupy mash to it with a syringe or spoon. Very small amounts frequently, electrolytes for the water you use to make the mash soup. Unmedicated feed crumble is best for this application I find.

Back
Top Bottom