Poorly chook?-advice please...

5fathens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi there,

We have been keeping chook for many years, but this year have encountered two new symptoms.

One of our hens 4 years old has always had a big butt, this year however she is almost tripping over her undercarriage, originally i thought she must be egg bound, but she continues to appear happy, has a red comb and wattle isn't behaving in any way unlike a 'normal' chicken with the exception of her very large tummy. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?

The second hen seemed to be sick the other day, she ate meal worms and had water to drink then just did some very strange neck movements and the liquid seemed to come out again (sorry if tmi) since then she's been behaving normally has a very slightly paler comb than usual and has done the weird neck thing a couple of times, should we be worried?

thanks in advance
:)

The first hen sounds like she may have either egg yolk peritonitis or ascites (water belly.) Has she laid eggs recently? The second hen may have a crop disorder, since it sounds like she is adjusting her crop more than usual. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, firm, doughy, or puffy/squishy? Check it first thing in the morning to see if it has emptied. Here is a good article about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks for your reply, i don't think she's laid for a while although she may have laid a tiny egg last week. what is water belly and can i do anything about it?
I will take a look at the link -thanks

Back
Top Bottom