Poorly Hen

sookie252

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 3, 2016
Hey all. Just looking for ideas of what could be up with my girl. She's very lethargic hunched up. Just sitting in hut. Not really eating or drinking.very pale comb and if I'm hinest she feels very light as if she's lost weight. We're due to get wormed anyways so have done that. Can't see any obvious parasites but would I be safer to treat for just in case? Not sure what else to do. Lost one to sour crop about a month ago. 🥲

How old is she? What breed? When was her last known egg? What's your weather like? Any other odd behavior from the flock? Could you get a picture of her?

I'd look her over carefully for mites or lice, especially the vent area. I'd also check and make sure her crop is empty early next morning.

How old is she and does she normally lay eggs? Is her tail position up or down? Does she have any swelling or enlargement of her lower belly? How does her crop feel?

Her crop seems ok in mornings. Unsure on age could be older. That was a consideration. No swelling of anything she feels bony 😢 I'm actually only getting 3 eggs a day from 10 hens just now. Weather is very wet and depressing just now. Rest of flock are acting absolutely fine. Will get a picture.

Check her crop this am and tell us if it is empty/flat, full and puffy or firm. Reproductive infection, cancer, and crop problems can be common causes for illness in chickens over 2 years. What do the poops look like? Pictures are helpful. Can you try to get her eating some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed, plus extra water? Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes/vitamins are good as well.

Back
Top Bottom