Poorly Hen

sorry to hear that your bird isnt well, and annoyingly so that you cant get the dusting powder. You could try giving her a bath, i gave one of my hens who had lice a bath with gentle baby shampoo ( she was filthy) and then blow dried her and such she stayed inside over night for good measure. next day i checked her for lice thinking that i would need to powder her but nothing, they had all died from the shampooing. If you cannot get something in the next day or so then this might be worth a try. I realise that with bathing a sick bird it can be dangerous but if careful then it is usually fine, just make sure they get a towel dry then a blow dry till they are completely dry and a stay inside over night.

Barbara,

Oh yes, I mixed it into the sand that they usually use.

I'm in Canada, and it's been fairly recently that pesticides have been restricted in Ontario. I didn't know the extent until now, as I've never had to use anything of the sort.

I keep joking about making a "Top Ten Ways to Kill Your Bird" list, and bathing is definitely on it.

-Kathy

Number 2 on my list would be depending on DE to get rid of parasites.

Lol, that was gonna be in one of the other lists, probably the in the "top ten parasite misinformation" list. Also thinking about a top ten dedicated to just wormers.

-Kathy

For those wondering, here is an update.

Talia has improved immensely. She's gaining weight steadily, feeding normally with gusto, and drinking. She isn't 100%, as she still seems to have a bit of a head tilt at times, but I'd give her a 95. She's keeping up with the rest of the flock, foraging, and being snotty to the low-totem hen.

I'm -still- trying to get a hold of Sevin, and am waiting for a farmer acquaintance to respond to my query about his procuring some for me.

I'm still stumped add to what could have caused her illness, but I guess I might never have the answer to that.

I appreciate everyone's help, and now I'm well stocked up on wormer, tube-feeding supplies, and knowledge... and apparently useless DE. :p

Back
Top Bottom