portable electric fence question

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hello, we have a mixed flock including two peahens and one peacock. Recently we've had a fox problem during the day that won't go away, which is a first ever experience for us despite all the years we've had poultry. As a result, we've had to confine our flock to our pole barn where they normally roost at night, and then free range during the day. Someone suggested portable electric fence for the flock which sounds like a great idea especially since I found some that is supposed to contain younger smaller birds. However, my concern is that our peafowl might fly over it and then either try to get back in by landing on it, or be trapped outside and be at the mercy of predators including the fox. WE have a few chickens that are excellent flyers and the same concern applies to them, although the ad for the fencing specifies that it is for birds and poultry that like to fly. Any suggestions about this or any one with experience that can give me some insight please? i just hate keeping our flock contained in the barn, and it is not especially healthy for them, especially our peafowl. They do have airflow through the screened doors that are predator proof, but they sadly want out and the weather is so nice now.

I can only find portable fence with a height of 4 feet...I'm wondering if it would be possible to cover the top with netting which would be pretty much essential i would think as an additional protection against hawks. I was going to install the fence so that it surrounds an entrance to the barn, then be able to still close and secure the entrance at night and turn the fence off. And it would hopefully just be a temporary thing for a month or so til the fox gets discouraged, but would also be useful if we need to lock the flock up this fall if AI comes through here.

I thought about trapping the fox, but I don't really want to and they are difficult to trap, anyhow.

Last edited:
The risk of landing ON the fence and getting shocked isn't a big issue. For the fence to shock, the victim needs to be in contact with the ground and one of the hot wires. The issue would be a peafowl landing on the fence and tearing it down. The electric mesh that I've seen sold for poultry is probably thin and "spidery" enough that the peafowl (or chickens) wouldn't see it as solid enough as a perch... but that would have to be tested.

The risk of landing ON the fence and getting shocked isn't a big issue. For the fence to shock, the victim needs to be in contact with the ground and one of the hot wires. The issue would be a peafowl landing on the fence and tearing it down. The electric mesh that I've seen sold for poultry is probably thin and "spidery" enough that the peafowl (or chickens) wouldn't see it as solid enough as a perch... but that would have to be tested.
I'm probably going to look at other options, it sounds like it would be more hassle than it's worth although i've heard from someone locally that they like it.

Back
Top Bottom