Possible breeding program

Pics
I let the boy out of his confinement. He's tit-bitting for the girls, wing dancing for them, and I haven't seen a forced mating since I released him.

One thing I do miss is seeing them all congregate outside my window, since his bachelor pad is right there.

This is my Biel x Jersey Giant, 27 weeks.

1000000003.jpg

5875194055478625005.jpg

JG x RIR back-cross cockerel. Looks just like his dad at the same age. Those bright red feathers are starting to appear. All three cockerels are getting their boy-feathers at almost 11 weeks.
20240412_152310.jpg

This morning I put out the chicks food as usual and they basically ignored it. One or two nibbled, then walked away.

Time to work on transitioning them to primarily free range. The other group of chicks (Rangers and Buckeyes) are also going out to find breakfast, then returning to eat later. I can't transition that group entirely because I have a broody sitting. She needs food whenever she comes out.

I told her 5 more days and she gave me the stinkeye. 🙃

Two of the little boys are crowing.

This week I'll put out the morning feeding some time after I let the chicks out. Get them used to foraging early, but still have plenty of food during the day. Then their evening feeding as usual.

Back
Top Bottom