Possible Broody Behavior?

Zombified

Songster
6 Years
May 17, 2013
Kentucky, USA
For those who don't know, I have a Mallard that I found as a day-old-ish duckling, so I don't know if their behavior is different from domestic ducks. Pyrrhos has been hiding under the shed, and she only appears at random intervals throughout the day. Yesterday was the first time we "lost" her, and found her again coming from beneath the shed. Today, she was missing from breakfast, and suddenly appeared a few hours later. Now, she's missing again. We have looked under the shed and can't see her, but I think (if she's really under there and not gone) she found a little nook to hide in. Both dogs seem particularly interested in a certain corner, which happens to be a corner that's difficult to see under, so it is entirely possible that she's there and hiding really well. She started laying eggs a couple weeks ago, and was giving us one egg about every 3 days.

So, is this normal broody hen behavior?

I was afraid of that. I don't think any of her eggs are fertile. I'll have to figure out how to get under there and collect her eggs.

Our whole backyard is pretty much predator-free. Our two dogs keep any intruders out.

I was afraid of that. I don't think any of her eggs are fertile. I'll have to figure out how to get under there and collect her eggs.

Our whole backyard is pretty much predator-free. Our two dogs keep any intruders out.
It would be good if you could get them so she wouldn't have to sit the whole time and nothing hatch but as long as she is coming out to eat and drink and bath if you can't get them she'll eventually give up.

I'll try and figure a way under the shed.
You sure they aren't fertile looks like a drake in your avatar.
smile.png

I do have a drake, but the two have only been seen "together" once. The last egg of hers I cracked was infertile. It's possible there are fertile eggs, but I'd still rather not have any babies until spring. Weather is still too unpredictable right now for me to feel comfortable.

I do have a drake, but the two have only been seen "together" once. The last egg of hers I cracked was infertile. It's possible there are fertile eggs, but I'd still rather not have any babies until spring. Weather is still too unpredictable right now for me to feel comfortable.
I sure understand not wanting ducklings right now, i have a broody duck but thank goodness she is using her stall so I just take her eggs. There could be fertile eggs I know I don't always see my duck mating. Makes it a hard call for sure. How long have you been noticing her behavior if this has just started the eggs may not have begun to develop but i wouldn't wait any longer than 4-5 days before taking them.

It started yesterday. It's possible that she was going under there before, but she's only gone "missing" periodically throughout the day since yesterday. My dad couldn't find her yesterday morning, and about half an hour after he started looking, she came out from under the shed. Today, we haven't seen her go or come from anywhere. She was just gone this morning, and a couple hours later, when I went back outside to look for her some more, she was with the others. About an hour or two ago, she went missing again. I do believe she ate, but I don't know if she drank any water or bathed while she was out.

Back
Top Bottom