Possible Chick Colors (Olive Egger over Buff Orp/Black Giant)

Oct 26, 2022
Virginia, United States
Hello.

I have the following chickens that I'm planning on breeding:
1 cockerel, an Olive Egger who was a black downed chick with a white spot.
4 hens, one a Buff Orpington (yellow/white chick) and three Black Jersey Giants (black down chicks with a few white spots).

They look like this now.

20221211_110623.jpg

(Chip on the left, some of the girls on the right)

I was wondering if Chip's offspring would also have this red/orange color bleed in their feathers ?

Breeding for color isn't my main focus, but it's interesting genetically.
Thank you for any insight !

Do you know anything about your olive-egger's parentage? Most likely, with your Jersey Giants, you'll see black chicks with red or orange leaking through as they feather in, as you predicted. Solid black is dominant over patterns, but will let some color leak through in mixes. However, the Buff Orpington mixes are a bit harder to predict without knowing what the Olive-egger brings to the table.

Do you know anything about your olive-egger's parentage? Most likely, with your Jersey Giants, you'll see black chicks with red or orange leaking through as they feather in, as you predicted. Solid black is dominant over patterns, but will let some color leak through in mixes. However, the Buff Orpington mixes are a bit harder to predict without knowing what the Olive-egger brings to the table.
The hatchery doesn't disclose their cross, but my best guess is a Marans (as Chip has feathered feet) and probably an Araucana (sp?).
I was thinking the red-orange was coming through due to the Marans.

Most likely yes, he's part Marans if he is an olive-egger who has feathered feet. If you're in the U.S., he would either be part Ameraucana or Easter-egger on the blue-egger side with those cheeks, as our Araucanas here are not bearded.

I'd guess based on that that your chicks from the Buff Orpington hen will either be black with red or orange color leakage, or buff-ish (most likely a darker shade than the Orpington, herself) with some black feathering, especially in the tail feathers. Some Buff Orpingtons have a copy of dominant white as well, so they may also end up whitish or buff-ish with white feathering from that. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom