Any Good Chick Coloration Genetics Resources?

andi_freeze

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2024
Hi!

I feel like I've read a lot about adult chicken color genetics, and I've found some really solid resources for learning more about that. But I have found it really hard to find anything about what genes(/gene complexes) have what sorts of effects on chick colors/markings!

I know that adult feather patterns come in and often completely change what they looked like as bitty first week chicks, but I am curious about what colors/patterns you can spot right from the beginning, beyond just the sex identification characteristics that are fairly commonly discussed due to their utility.

I do see lots of individual identification posts - ie someone posting a picture of a pic and folks identifying what it's adult plumage will likely be; but I would really like a more comprehensive resource that breaks down the factors at play. Though maybe it's just very simple? It does seem like chick coloration is mostly down to that e-locus gene (duckwing vs partridge vs extended black vs wheaten etc), maybe some hint of the various base color modifiers (dominant white, splash, etc), and like, skin color genetics.... I would just really like a chart 🥲

Hi!

I feel like I've read a lot about adult chicken color genetics, and I've found some really solid resources for learning more about that. But I have found it really hard to find anything about what genes(/gene complexes) have what sorts of effects on chick colors/markings!

I know that adult feather patterns come in and often completely change what they looked like as bitty first week chicks, but I am curious about what colors/patterns you can spot right from the beginning, beyond just the sex identification characteristics that are fairly commonly discussed due to their utility.

I do see lots of individual identification posts - ie someone posting a picture of a pic and folks identifying what it's adult plumage will likely be; but I would really like a more comprehensive resource that breaks down the factors at play. Though maybe it's just very simple? It does seem like chick coloration is mostly down to that e-locus gene (duckwing vs partridge vs extended black vs wheaten etc), maybe some hint of the various base color modifiers (dominant white, splash, etc), and like, skin color genetics.... I would just really like a chart 🥲
that one?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-08 9.19.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-08 9.19.15 AM.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
I assume that OP means chick down coloring, as in chipmunk striped chicks grow into duckwing, brown chicks grow into partridge, etc.? I have similarly been looking for such a source for a long time as well. There was a post I referenced on another forum for a while, but it's since vanished and I haven't been able to find another resource for that info. I have a genetics book, Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R. D. Crawford, that has chick down coloring pictures and the e-locus genes they're associated with on page 117, but the pictures are in black and white and don't really show all of the variations, so it's only somewhat useful for that. I've kind of had to logic out genetics of chick down colors for myself based on breeds whose genotype I know and how they look as chicks versus adults. If you find a chart of some kind, though, please share! I'd love to have a more confident grasp on that aspect of genetics as well! 🙂

I assume that OP means chick down coloring, as in chipmunk striped chicks grow into duckwing, brown chicks grow into partridge, etc.? I have similarly been looking for such a source for a long time as well. There was a post I referenced on another forum for a while, but it's since vanished and I haven't been able to find another resource for that info. I have a genetics book, Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R. D. Crawford, that has chick down coloring pictures and the e-locus genes they're associated with on page 117, but the pictures are in black and white and don't really show all of the variations, so it's only somewhat useful for that. I've kind of had to logic out genetics of chick down colors for myself based on breeds whose genotype I know and how they look as chicks versus adults. If you find a chart of some kind, though, please share! I'd love to have a more confident grasp on that aspect of genetics as well! 🙂
Yes that's exactly what I am looking for!
And yea I've had the same problems - the very small handful of sources I can find that talk about it at all either only have b+w reference pictures, or exclusively talk about sex determining characteristics.... I guess I can personally work on compiling some stuff since it seems at least 1 other person would find it useful :D

I've added several e+ wildtype duckwing dilutions, E extended black dilutions, and one E^R birchen based chick to the doc. I sorted them by the e-locus gene because that generally determines how the chick down is marked. I need to crop some older pictures of chicks with other e-locus genes before adding them, but I'm out of time for now, so I'll work on that later!

Oh, I do have adult pictures of most of those as well, so if you want those added to the doc I can do that later as well! 🙂

I've added several e+ wildtype duckwing dilutions, E extended black dilutions, and one E^R birchen based chick to the doc. I sorted them by the e-locus gene because that generally determines how the chick down is marked. I need to crop some older pictures of chicks with other e-locus genes before adding them, but I'm out of time for now, so I'll work on that later!

Oh, I do have adult pictures of most of those as well, so if you want those added to the doc I can do that later as well! 🙂
Thank you!! This is super helpful, and yea I think it would be great to have corresponding adult pics :)

Back
Top Bottom