Feathering Genetics

Both King and Dean are beautiful! It's a shame Dean got an attitude, he does look really nice.
It's cool how the Pheonix have such long saddles and hackles. They were one of the breeds used to make GHF way back. It would be awesome to combine the two to get long tails as well... I remember you floated that idea last year and I always wanted to see it.

One thing that interests me is feather width. When I raised a big gang of GHF in '22, some had hackle feathers as wide as Dean there. Others had a superfine hair like appearance. I ended up choosing one of those to keep as I realized his overall feather count was higher with the thin feathers.
I wish I'd gotten a closeup picture when I still had him, as his feathers here are kind of blending together, but not a one was wider than 1/8 inch.
My cochinxphoenix crosses get thin feathers like that

My cochinxphoenix crosses get thin feathers like that

Ooh, What do they look like? Are they Bantam Cochin or large fowl?

I've only kept mixes of GHF now, as I really wanted to focus on my projects. I'd like to blend in the GHF feather length. One pullet is 3/4 GHF and 1/4 Ameraucana, she's completely GHF in appearance. So the decision to be made is whether to put her in the Smurf project or with my Orpington mixes.

Both King and Dean are beautiful! It's a shame Dean got an attitude, he does look really nice.
It's cool how the Pheonix have such long saddles and hackles. They were one of the breeds used to make GHF way back. It would be awesome to combine the two to get long tails as well... I remember you floated that idea last year and I always wanted to see it.

One thing that interests me is feather width. When I raised a big gang of GHF in '22, some had hackle feathers as wide as Dean there. Others had a superfine hair like appearance. I ended up choosing one of those to keep as I realized his overall feather count was higher with the thin feathers.
I wish I'd gotten a closeup picture when I still had him, as his feathers here are kind of blending together, but not a one was wider than 1/8 inch.
I'm doing the cross to Ameraucana. I believe I have all my stock now and just need to get the rest of the pens set up so I can separate the flock. Should have all my pens up by the end of summer. Its taking awhile longer because of the rains we have been having. Can't get dump trucks in the back until the rain stops so I can get it all up an inch or two.

Deans feathers on the top of his head where very skinny and different than Kings where.

Ooh, What do they look like? Are they Bantam Cochin or large fowl?

I've only kept mixes of GHF now, as I really wanted to focus on my projects. I'd like to blend in the GHF feather length. One pullet is 3/4 GHF and 1/4 Ameraucana, she's completely GHF in appearance. So the decision to be made is whether to put her in the Smurf project or with my Orpington mixes.
Bantamish. My phoenixes are kinda small, but still large fowl, the cochins are bantam. Mine were barred cochins, so they actually look a lot like that male you posted.

Can someone explain how buff works, please? I know it is a dilution of red. It seems you can get buff by combining a variety of genes and different breeds have different versions of buff?

Can someone explain how buff works, please? I know it is a dilution of red. It seems you can get buff by combining a variety of genes and different breeds have different versions of buff?

Try asking in the "Ask anything of Nicalandia" thread. The color experts most often answer there. Or in a new thread, they likely won't see it here.
I remember it once, long ago being answered as "the genes that make buff are not understood, except that it's a dilution of red". Whether that is accurate or not, or up to date, I have no idea.

I accidentally made a sort-of buff, really more Orange than anything, pullet who is Mosaic x Genetic Hackle (an oopsie, the eggs are identical).
I kept her as a chick to see what would happen, and she just gets more orange all the time. I don't like it, she's going to find a new home, lol.

Try asking in the "Ask anything of Nicalandia" thread. The color experts most often answer there. Or in a new thread, they likely won't see it here.
I remember it once, long ago being answered as "the genes that make buff are not understood, except that it's a dilution of red". Whether that is accurate or not, or up to date, I have no idea.
That would be a good place to ask.

Personally, I've heard the same thing (dilution of red, not fully understood), and I don't know beyond that. Well, I know that buff is pretty to look at, but that doesn't help with the genetics of it!

Personally, I've heard the same thing (dilution of red, not fully understood), and I don't know beyond that. Well, I know that buff is pretty to look at, but that doesn't help with the genetics of it!
Something I've found out is its good to use to work on getting the dark heads on the black crested white polish.

You were the main expert I was thinking of! If you don't have the answer there probably still isn't one available. Darn.

Something I've found out is its good to use to work on getting the dark heads on the black crested white polish.

How does that work I wonder? And does it act like a recessive and pop back up again afterwards?

I found a picture of accidental Orangello...
In the second one, the pullet to the right is the typical red GHF color.

Oranjello2.JPG
MosaicHackleand HackleAm.JPG

Back
Top Bottom