Feathering Genetics

I had a golden from Cackle who's saddle feathers drug the ground. Wish I had kept him over King but Kings temperament was better.

King
1000000124.jpg

Dean, who is behind Blues man in this photo.
20230324_183147.jpg

How old is king? Is he the one in the back of the second pic?
Kings the first picture. He will be 3 in August. His tail could be longer if I hadn't had all the boys free ranging together. They like to pull tails when they where bottom of the rung.

Also he likes to be under foot. I have stepped on his Sickles before and he's pulled away hard enough to pull them out.🫤

A newer picture of King. Lol, still before the ladies started eating his hackles.
1000003853.jpg

Last edited:
Kings the first picture. He will be 3 in August. His tail could be longer if I hadn't had all the boys free ranging together. They like to pull tails when they where bottom of the rung.

Also he likes to be under foot. I have stepped on his Sickles before and he's pulled away hard enough to pull them out.🫤

A newer picture of King. Lol, still before the ladies started eating his hackles.
View attachment 3778506
Oh, okay. If he'd been in the second pic, I was going to say it just takes some time sometimes. My boy Odysseus looked like a game bird for the longest time before suddenly having an amazing tail one day

Does anyone know if the different tail shapes are based on feathering genetics, body type, or a mix? Ex. cubalaya lobster tails vs OEG
Yes, both play a part. The more feathers in the tail the more downward it will be. The feathers do weigh the tail down. The body is going to play a part as well. Sumatra and cubalaya have a stance and body angle/carriage that makes the tail carriage lower.

Does anyone know if the different tail shapes are based on feathering genetics, body type, or a mix? Ex. cubalaya lobster tails vs OEG

It does seem to be separate genes that control different aspect of the tail. I have some I really like with a fanned out tail (each feather showing, without gaps). From Black Ameraucana. I've bred those two generations now, mostly crosses, and it seems to be dominant as most of them now have it.
Some SOPs emphasize a "wide tent" which is the base of the tail. That contributes a lot to the look as well.

This topic is nice to see so many contributing to, it's the sort of breeding aspect that doesn't get as much attention on here, and is very interesting.

This topic is nice to see so many contributing to, it's the sort of breeding aspect that doesn't get as much attention on here, and is very interesting.
It really is! I love stuff like this. I'm still learning (who isn't?). I don't even have chickens yet, but this is all fun and good to know for future flock planning because let's be real; I plan on starting with five but who actually just stops at five? :lau

Back
Top Bottom