possible diseases for a 2 year old turkey?

turkeymom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SE Tennessee
Hi Everybody! My 2-year old burbon red hen is not looking good. The main symptom is for the past 2-3 days, she has been sitting with her neck drawn into her body hunched over. She's not running around looking at stuff the way a turkey should. I haven't seen her at the feed bowl, but she will half-heartedly go after treats - the other birds get them before she does. I'm pretty sure she is not eating much if at all, though.

Yesterday I gave her .5 cc of Valbazen in case it was worms, but I haven't noticed an improvement. If anything, she's even more listless.

I've looked around their pen and havent' seen any sign of bright yellow poop or anything weird looking. No sneezing or sign of respiratory problems.

Any ideas what it could be? Blackhead? Coccidiossis?

Also she is with 4 young turkeys (about 5 months old) and a dozen chickens - all of whom seem fine. I'm not sure if this matters, but she recently molted and has most of her new feathers in - she was looking great before this started.

Thanks! I really want to save her, but I just don't know what to try.

It could be blackhead disease. I've heard of people giving their turkeys cayenne powder in their feed, and also a product called Fish Zole, that is sold at pet shops with fish aquariums.

I am no turkey expert, but those are a few things I have read. Apparently blackhead disease is a little organism (protozoa) and the Fish Zole will help kill that. I believe Blackhead disease attacks the liver.....

I sure hope you figure out what's wrong,
Take care,

Sharon

get real close to her head and listen to her breathing. She may have a respiratory infection and or there is a fungus among us that has been causing issues due to the drought. You might was to read up a little and or give her tylan 50 at 1cc per ten lbs twice a day for a week. You will notice a big difference in the first couple days. If she s breathing okay and no mucus drainage then tylan is probably not going to help.

Thanks for the replies.
In fact when I was holding her today, I noticed a slight noise when she was breathing. It's pretty subtle, and there's not really any drainage. But, I'm starting to wonder if the Tylan might help. I feel like I have to do something, so I guess I'll try that.
Is a respiratory disease more likely than blackhead?
I guess I could get some of the fishzole and try that too, but I hate to just medicate blindly and it gets kinda pricey.

Back
Top Bottom