Possible dislocated hip?!?! Please help

harice4806

Songster
Apr 10, 2018
I don't really have any good pictures. But I had a hen go to isolation a few weeks ago due to injury from another hen. Thought a sprain or something. I just brought her in for a bath and blow dry and her hip joint feels different. She will stand but not bear weight and hops on her good leg. Totally normal bird otherwise. Eats, drinks, lays me eggs still despite molting. Is culling my only option since I don't believe there are any avian vets near me?
20191006_170843.jpg

If she is fine in every other way I wouldn't cull her. A friend of mine rescued a battery chicken who couldn't walk on one foot because it was full of poo and mud. She cleaned the foot and treated it, but that chicken never walked on that foot again. Was otherwise just fine and a happy chicken.

I'm worried because she's a rather submissive hen. Pretty sure that's how she got injured in the first place. I'd be worried about her getting picked on worse. I'm not sure if she's in any real pain. Doesn't pull the leg away from me when I move it to see if I can feel any breaks. There is an area that feels "crunchy" when I gently extend and retract the leg in what I would guess is her knee? It's the first joint above where her leg feathers start. Like 2 inches above it? She's so sweet and a good layer and I really don't want her living life in a kennel but don't want to cull if it's not needed.

Months ago I watched her just from the outside roost to the ground and she injured the same leg. She limped for a week and was fine. Makes me wonder if she has some sort of physical problem with it from the get go. Phone calls will be made in the morning but I may not be able to get her in until Tuesday due to work. She'll stay in her kennel as she has been and I'll update after! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom