yieldmaximalist

Hatching
Jan 31, 2024
IMG_8974.jpeg

this is my first flock, and i’ve identified this “hen” as an easter egger due to the green legs, however the tail feathers are starting to make me think “she” is a “he”. Comb and wattle say hen (IMO) but like i said, first time raising chickens since i was 8-10 years old, so could use the expert advice.

not a ton of rooster behavior comparably, but that’s probably due to being raised with all hens, currently 10 weeks old and the sickle feathers are starting to point upwards and separate from the others. i’ve been going back and forth between whether or not she’s a hen or a rooster since she was a day old and now i’m starting to second guess myself once again. “she” is the largest in the flock by far (and i have 3 brahmas) but maybe that’s due to her being the only easter egger in the bunch?

if yall want to see the full flock, let me know, i will upload more images :)

Attachments

• IMG_8976.jpeg
    IMG_8976.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8975.jpeg
    IMG_8975.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 41
She is a pullet. Sometimes females can get a few wonky tail feathers when they're young. Seems to happen a lot with Easter eggers especially.

I'm surprised she's larger than the Brahmas, unless they are bantam Brahmas. This girl looks very healthy, so maybe she's just a fast grower. Brahmas can be slow growers, too. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Ultimately the Brahmas, if they aren't bantams, will be much larger than the Easter egger.

View attachment 3737664
this is my first flock, and i’ve identified this “hen” as an easter egger due to the green legs, however the tail feathers are starting to make me think “she” is a “he”. Comb and wattle say hen (IMO) but like i said, first time raising chickens since i was 8-10 years old, so could use the expert advice.

not a ton of rooster behavior comparably, but that’s probably due to being raised with all hens, currently 10 weeks old and the sickle feathers are starting to point upwards and separate from the others. i’ve been going back and forth between whether or not she’s a hen or a rooster since she was a day old and now i’m starting to second guess myself once again. “she” is the largest in the flock by far (and i have 3 brahmas) but maybe that’s due to her being the only easter egger in the bunch?

if yall want to see the full flock, let me know, i will upload more images :)
She’s a gorgeous bird. I’d love to see your flock and parents to get C that colouring :)

Back
Top Bottom