Possible egg bound? Cocci?

I don't have a photo of her poop but I will post one I found that looks like it. I've read that cecal poops are normal if it happens occasionally so that's why I didn't think much of it (or to take a photo) until I saw her acting strangely. I did use Corid and just picked up some more electrolyte/vitamin powder for her.
I've never had to deal with cocci before (not knowingly at least?). I've lost hens to predators and others seemed to have dropped dead without showing signs of something being wrong. Should I soak her just in case?

Knowing how to treat without a vet's help is hard. :( Some things are treatable, others are no, but treating a bird that looks a little off with both Safeguard and Corid is perfectly safe.

Safeguard is a worm treatment, and many people use it regularly, once a year, along with the other wormers. I have always been ambivalent about using it when not needed, but still do so, since otherwise it would require samples be taken from everyone and sent to a vet for testing, to see if they did need wormed. :confused:

Back to this particular bird. A higher than normal parasite load of any kind could certainly make them feel bad enough for them to act like this. It probably wouldn't hurt to worm her, too, if nothing else is showing up as a reason for her actions ... and might as well worm everyone else in the flock at the same time, for that matter. That way, a single note on the calendar would keep track of everyone's worming treatment.

I don't have a photo of her poop but I will post one I found that looks like it. I've read that cecal poops are normal if it happens occasionally so that's why I didn't think much of it (or to take a photo) until I saw her acting strangely. I did use Corid and just picked up some more electrolyte/vitamin powder for her.
I've never had to deal with cocci before (not knowingly at least?). I've lost hens to predators and others seemed to have dropped dead without showing signs of something being wrong. Should I soak her just in case?

I really wouldn't soak her unless you could definitely feel an egg sitting there just inside the cloaca. Just get her inside and look her over really well, then settle her in somewhere quiet for awhile, like I described previously.

Here's a photo of what her poop looks like. It's not her's though but its close

Attachments

• e6unu8a6.jpg
    e6unu8a6.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 6
I really wouldn't soak her unless you could definitely feel an egg sitting there just inside the cloaca. Just get her inside and look her over really well, then settle her in somewhere quiet for awhile, like I described previously.
X2! I agree with this. Even if she did have an egg I would rather just fill up a bathroom with steam and let her sit there for a couple of hours. Bathing a sick bird is *very* hard on them.

Safeguard is a worm treatment, and many people use it regularly, once a year, along with the other wormers. I have always been ambivalent about using it when not needed, but still do so, since otherwise it would require samples be taken from everyone and sent to a vet for testing, to see if they did need wormed. :confused:

Back to this particular bird. A higher than normal parasite load of any kind could certainly make them feel bad enough for them to act like this. It probably wouldn't hurt to worm her, too, if nothing else is showing up as a reason for her actions ... and might as well worm everyone else in the flock at the same time, for that matter. That way, a single note on the calendar would keep track of everyone's worming treatment.

I'm bringing her inside soon. I need to set everything up for her. Treat for cocci first then worms or can I do both at same time? That seems like it'd be too much

As for Coccidosis, I have dealt with it before, in chicks and in juveniles. It's horrible, a very sneaky disease that can hit so hard and fast that you've lost half a hatch before you even have time to medicate anyone - and that's if you've GOT the Corid on hand, too. They can even catch Cocci from flies or maggots, as well, so one more reason to keep your fly population to a minimum!

The other day I noticed some reddish poop in the run and thought it may just be normal intestinal lining being shed. Today my wyandotte is acting off. Still drinking and eating but not as much and seems low energy-efficient. She keeps sitting but is not walking funny (walks slow but no wobble) and her wings and tail are still upright. The other hens are acting fine. Theyre on layer feed but I went ahead and crushed some calcium pills and put them in some scrambled eggs. I also started a cocci treatment and dosed her with nutri drench. I have a warm bath for her but she got away from me but will try again soon.
Any ideas on what else to do?
Edit: she seemed fine last night. Havent seen an egg from her lately but shes nearing 3 and not a consistent layer anyway. Its been kinda chilly and windy here lately so could it just be a cold or something?
Edit again: i did feel her abdomen and it felt odd but im unsure of what theyre supposed to feel like so checked my legbar who lays daily and they felt more or less the same

Have you been able to catch her?
Photos of her poop would be great - when you catch her put her on some puppy pads or white paper towels, this makes it easy to catch, see and photograph.

I'm a little confused about your mention that "cecal poops are normal if it happens occasionally"? Chickens have 2kinds of poop. One is the "normal poop" that is the firm(ish) formed poop with usually a white cap. The other is "cecal poop" this is the looser, sometimes pudding-like consistency stinky, sticky poop - a chicken poops a cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 poops, so they will have several a day. You may have meant intestinal shedding- that can be "normal" if you see it in very young chicks or when a pullet comes into lay - you might see that once maybe twice at the most.

Now, for your girl, when you catch her, feel the abdomen for any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid. It is unfortunately common for hens to develop internal laying/reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer, tumors. The symptoms for all of these are quite similar, so sometimes it's very hard to know which one a hen is suffering from until they pass and a necropsy is performed.

Keep her calm, eating/drinking. If she is not lethargic, then if you feel she will benefit from a warm epsom salts soak, it won't hurt her. If she is out of it, then placing her in a steamy bathroom would be better. Epsom salts bath can help if she is not pooping or if she is having trouble with a soft shell egg.

Keep us posted.

Oh, really? I was just always told to never, ever medicate unless absolutely necessary, and that advice came from some very knowledgable old-timers in chicken keeping.
I do know that you should not eat any eggs from medicated chickens, and for at least 10 days after they are off of meds. I'd scramble their eggs and feed them back to them, if I were you. That's what I do whenever I have anyone that needs meds. I don't know the half-life of something like amoxycillin or doxycycline, and any bird that's needed it (I've had some with pretty bad injuries) desperately needed the extra protein for healing.

fwiw-I agree not to medicate unless necessary, but sometimes, vet care is not available, so a backyard chicken keeper does what they deem necessary to treat a sick chicken the best they see fit.
Corid is a coccidiostat and only treats Coccidiosis. It has no antibiotic properties that I know of and there is no egg withdrawal period for Corid.

For antibiotics, there is usually an egg withdrawal period (varies by product)-this means throw away the eggs since there can be residue of the medication in the eggs. Throwing away eggs, mean that no one eats them - if you worry about residue for your consumption, then there would also be residue in the chickens consuming them, yes? So...if fed back, then adjusting (increasing) withdrawal times might be in order.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom