POSSIBLE EMERGENCY: Bronchitis??

EggDropSoup

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
Hi all--

One of my favorite hens--a black copper marans named Corinne--is suddenly, violently ill. I noticed her sneezing a couple of times yesterday, but it seems to me that chickens sneeze rather often, seeing as they're covered in dust much of the time, so I didn't think much of it. Today, I noticed she was wheezing, sneezing, coughing, shaking her head, and making a REALLY awful noise. It sounds like she's trying to cluck, but she's gurgling and making something between a wheeze and a moan. I immediately removed her from the flock and brought her inside. I'm kind of freaking out. I think it must be bronchitis, which apparently isn't usually fatal, but is apparently VERY contagious. I feel so awful for her, and now I'm worried about the rest of my flock.

Is there anything I can do to help ease her breathing?? What sort of supportive care does she need? I'm going to give her some subcutaneous fluids, because I'm afraid of dehydration. I'm CONSIDERING getting a humidifier and putting it in the bathroom where she is. Would that help with her congestion, or could it somehow cause harm? Is there any medicine I can give her either for the symptoms or to help her recover? I gave her a shot of penicillin, just because it's so broad-spectrum.

She's still bright-eyed and relatively active. I'm just scared. What else could it be other than bronchitis?

There was a stray banty rooster who came into my chicken yard and hung out for a day until I gave him to someone else. He was sneezing a bit. I fear the bronchitis might have been brought in by him (I have already warned the person I gave him to).

Please advise! I'm great at taking care of wounded chickens, but I've never had a truly sick hen before.

ETA: I'm now wondering if she has a fungal infection?? Her symptoms just don't align with the viral respiratory symptoms, because her eyes are completely and totally clear and her nose isn't crusty. She's just extremely wheezy and gurgly and coughing. Someone told me that if it's fungal, I should cease antibiotics, so now I'm really confused. I ordered some Oxine AH, but I'm afraid it won't get here in time. :(

Last edited:
I put her in the bathroom with a humidifier and gave her some fluids. She's not very interested in food, though she's pecking at some yogurt a bit. She seems quite alert and has been running all over the bathroom (it's gonna be a mess...). I hope other people can chime in! I've been reading conflicting info on mortality when it comes to bronchitis in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom