Possible Eye infection to young roo???

mandymcg05

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Kentucky
One of my four week old roos either has an eye infection or was pecked in the eye or scratched in the eye. I’m not so sure it is infection because that flock is being treated for respiratory illness with an anabiotic water. I don’t have much medication on hand especially for the eyes. I checked on everyone this morning and when I got home this evening I found him walking around with one eye closed. I did use a warm compress and got his eye to open up a little bit to make sure that his eyeball was still in there. Is there anything else I can do for him for the night until I can get to a feed store tomorrow morning? And once I get to the feed store tomorrow morning what do I need to look for? I do have some of that vetricyn eye gel on the way from Amazon but it won’t be here till at least Monday! Also you can see in the last photo his other eye is perfectly normal. He is also eating and drinking fine.

C7D5E7AA-2AEC-454D-BFCB-2F83FB257D2D.jpeg
D1394132-99B3-4603-833D-E7A73E55A2C7.jpeg
784BAFC8-441E-4AA1-8F40-FBE5122BCCC7.jpeg
4F539E19-96F7-4673-AB03-BFF95582DD70.jpeg
8E76ABF8-8E38-4DFC-A153-30449EFD9D20.jpeg

So this morning. Swelling has gone down. It was cracked open a little as he was running around. I only have bag balm, coconut oil, vetricyn spray and I’m heading to tsc now for some type of eye ointment. I only have things for humans on hand 💔

You can use terramycin eye ointment (tractor supply usually carries it) or plain neosporin in the eye 2-3 times a day. It could be from a respiratory infection, or it could be an injury. If you have some sterile saline you can flush the eye well first to try to make sure there is no debris in there.

You can use terramycin eye ointment (tractor supply usually carries it) or plain neosporin in the eye 2-3 times a day. It could be from a respiratory infection, or it could be an injury. If you have some sterile saline you can flush the eye well first to try to make sure there is no debris in there.
Ok. I’ll do neosporin now while I head to search for terramycin eye ointment. They are on abx water for the respiratory symptoms. I cleaned everything out again today and gave them new bedding which I just did very recently. So I’m sure it’s not the bedding. Using the big pine flakes that I’ve been using since they were babes. Here’s to a day of chicken work! Ha! 💪🏼 🐓 do you think he needs to be alone? Or would he be ok for a few more hours worth his friends?

If he's not being picked on and acting normally, then I would leave him with the others. If he's getting picked on, or being kept from feed and water, then I would put him in a wire crate in with the others so they can still all see each other (less stressful) but he will still be protected. Since they are all being treated for the respiratory infection then there is no reason to isolate for that.

If he's not being picked on and acting normally, then I would leave him with the others. If he's getting picked on, or being kept from feed and water, then I would put him in a wire crate in with the others so they can still all see each other (less stressful) but he will still be protected. Since they are all being treated for the respiratory infection then there is no reason to isolate for that.
Thank you so much! 💜

@coach723 we will not talk about the amount of 💵 I spent on meds today for ONE eye lol. But here’s what I have. I did plain neosporin this morning until I could find meds. And with in a couple hours he was holding his eye about 1/2 way open constantly. So which of these should I do tonight? And should I do another hot water compress/wipe on it?

Since the neosporin seemed to help, I would use the terramycin ointment. The others will be good to have on hand, and worth using when you catch something early on.

Back
Top Bottom