Possible gapeworm or respiratory issue?

jbowyer01

Just Me!
14 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hogansville, Georgia
I have an issue that seems to be progressing. I have 1 roo that was hatched on 12/12/2011 with 5 girls about the same age, in the same pen over the last couple of weeks it seems that they have started to sneeze every so often. I thought maybe the coop was too dusty so I did a total clean out of the coop (scrubbed the roosts, new bedding, dusted everything, added a smaller amount of DE. The run gets raked every evening. My little roo did seem to be stretching his neck but I thought he was trying to crow. This was not a consistent thing just every so often. The roo never seems to really crow and doesnt seem to attempt to anymore. All my birds look healthy, they have been eating and drinking (water with ACV, that gets changed nightly). They also get cooked oatmeal, grits and cornbread plus a few other treats. While handling the birds last night my DH and I heard a gurgling noise from the roo and he does look tired. My first thought was gapeworm with his stretching of the neck but because the girls seem to sneeze every so often it makes me second guess maybe a respiratory issue? I did take two other little roos to a swap a week ago but they were on cement at the swap. I did not quarantine them when they came back from the swap (didnt think about that actually, it was my first swap). The two little roos are in the same coop but with with a divider in between them and the others. They have their own run area. We also only were specific shoes into the run or coop and the shoes are removed once out of the run or coop for biosecurity.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Coronation Sussex, 8 to 10lbs (?)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Streching neck, slight gurgling sound
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? noticed gurgling sound last night. Stretching of the neck for about a month
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? The roo looks slightly lethargic but is still moving around, eating and drinking seem to be the same.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. None noted
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Normal pellets (Dumor) ACV in water, grits, oatmeal, they do get to free range in the evenings so worms and bugs.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop varies from a little runny to semisoft no blood or visible worms
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None, I wanted recommendations first.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Would like to treat completely myself if possible
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Coop is 4X10 enclosed with windows and vents for ventilation no known drafts. I use pine shavings and DE (food grade). Coop is cleaned on regular basis. The attached run is 10X12 covered, with dirt floor.

Everytime I see or hear respiratory - I use Tylan - however on that many birds, you may want to try Tylan soluble that mixes in water for five days. Tylan is an antibiotic. You can purchase injectable Tylan with syringes,but I think the powder in water is the way to go.
Good luck!

Hmmm, maybe if it'sjust one doing it, just worm the one first. Also, add vitamins and electrolytes in the water for all of them to give them a boost. See what happens. I did that once, womred the only lethargic hen, and she did perk up. Truth be told, if you SEE worms, the infestation is VERY bad., By not seeing them,means they don't have them, or they do and the infestation is not as heavy.
I wouldn't worm and use an antibiotic together. But, that's just me. Other people will chime in and add their expertise

It is not gapeworm because your rooster is eating and drinking. Gapeworm would be clogging up the trachea preventing your rooster from swallowing/breathing and he would die from suffocation. CRD can be picked up at swap meets, wild birds as well. Here's a pic with a few gapeworm in a chickens windpipe:
19157_gapeworms-in-windpipe.jpg

Thank you dawg. I am picking up the Tylan 50 and will start treatment tonight. I work in the medical field and stick humans all day but I am so not happy about sticking my chickens.

Well TSC didnt have Tylan 50 only Tylan 200. So I had to break out the old drug conversion part of my brain. Started the flock on the dosage last night and gave the roo his dose a little early today. He has a funky smell and has a thick mucous around his nostrils and inside his mouth. Hopefully this was caught early. Now will my flock be carriers of what ever this is? I was hoping to be NPIP tested this summer but that is very questionable now and what about eggs (when they start laying) will I be able to sell them?

Back
Top Bottom