Possible heat stroke HELP

Cowgirlz4

Hatching
Sep 13, 2021
Hi all,
I walked into my coop yesterday evening and found one of my girls laying on the floor all confused. I picked her up and she just fell back over, so we moved her inside with a fan blowing on her because she was panting and felt very hot. Over a couple hours of the fan she stood up and walked a few steps. But nope she is just standing no walking this morning and not eating or drinking. She is about 2 years, last egg was July, some signs of shedding feathers.

If it is heat stroke, then she is most likely dehydrated. This would cause her confusion. You can put drops of nutri drench or electrolytes on her beak. You should be able to get this at a farm store such as Tractor Supply.
It may take some time to get her back into condition, but the fact that she is able to stand sounds reassuring to me.
Good luck to you both! And please, keep us updated.

She is doing better. Yesterday she wouldnt raise her tail feathers when I had her in the house and I know that’s a sign she dosent feel good. So I took her outside and let her roam, she started to scratch for bugs and raised her tail a little. Then I gave her some calcium bugs and she eat those no problem I even put some in her water to get her to drink. I had to run some errands and didn’t want to put her back inside so I let her go to the coop and shes much better. Tail is raised snd she’s screaming like normal. But she did go lay her first egg in a couple months and it was very thin and it broke in the hen box. It broke on the bottom of the egg so I know she didn’t do it. Maybe she was egg bound?

She is doing better. Yesterday she wouldnt raise her tail feathers when I had her in the house and I know that’s a sign she dosent feel good. So I took her outside and let her roam, she started to scratch for bugs and raised her tail a little. Then I gave her some calcium bugs and she eat those no problem I even put some in her water to get her to drink. I had to run some errands and didn’t want to put her back inside so I let her go to the coop and shes much better. Tail is raised snd she’s screaming like normal. But she did go lay her first egg in a couple months and it was very thin and it broke in the hen box. It broke on the bottom of the egg so I know she didn’t do it. Maybe she was egg bound?
Do you have calcium available, in the form of oyster shell? It is is helpful to keep this near the nest boxes or feeders, even if you feed layer feed.
I hope all goes well!

Do you have calcium available, in the form of oyster shell? It is is helpful to keep this near the nest boxes or feeders, even if you feed layer feed.
I hope all goes well!
I’ve had it available before and she has never eaten it. They pick it out of the feed if I mix it in and through it on the ground, and if I leave it by the box they just never touch it. I did find these dryed worms called grubblys and they are 50% more calcium.

Back
Top Bottom