Possible Mareks

Chickmama77

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 18, 2018
Please help..I’m so devastated. Jan 16 I bought Marek VACCINATED baby chicks … fast forward 2 weeks ago, one started sneezing a lot. Then the next week she was very lethargic and had diarrhea. The 3 week, she can barely walk, is wobbly and the poops are looking normal. I think it’s Mareks. My 3 other girls seem to be doing very well. I have the sick pullet in the house …do I need to cull ALL of my girls? Or can I see how the other 3 end up doing? Again they were all vaccinated. I’ve been giving the sick one. Liquid baby vitamins, and vit rx ( I think that’s what it’s called)

Marek vaccination does NOT cause Marek's disease. And 8 week old is too early to show any symptoms of Marek. And sneezing is NOT a symptom of Marek. It sounds like a respiratory disease. Some experts here may give you better suggestions of giving her Tylan, or other treatments.

It's not Mareks, so you can stop worrying about that.
Sounds like a respiratory issue then a vitamin issue. Vet rx is not a medicine, just vicks for chickens, it helps Ease symptoms.
What is their brooder like? Their diet?
I moved them out of the brooder. But their brooder was in my jacuzzi tub.. now they are in a 8x8 covered run with a nestera coop. They are on organic feed specific for their age. I give them suet once in a while…and grit. She has been on the poly so vit for about 3 days.

I moved them out of the brooder. But their brooder was in my jacuzzi tub.. now they are in a 8x8 covered run with a nestera coop. They are on organic feed specific for their age. I give them suet once in a while…and grit. She has been on the poly so vit for about 3 days.
Ok, what are her symptoms exactly? How where they heated?

First I noticed sneezing. She still had a good appetite and looked well. At 6.5 weeks I moved them outside. I’m in Georgia so it was about 65° in the day and 48° at night. I used a heat lamp and heat plate the first 3 weeks. Then I alternated weekly the heat plate and lamp. By week 5ish I only used the heat plate. My house is cool, maybe 68°…then I noticed watery poop, almost all water. So I started electrolytes. Next we barely walking wobbly, and very very lethargic. Still eating and drinking. This last week. A little more walking but very wobbly . Normal poop. But now she’s barely eating (she only wants peanut butter suet) and I have to make her drink.

Oh and like 2 days ago, she starred losing feather like crazy! I don’t see any bald spots but the tub has a lot of feathers in it. She almost reminds me of a broody hen. Oh and she’s a buff Orpington

First I noticed sneezing. She still had a good appetite and looked well. At 6.5 weeks I moved them outside. I’m in Georgia so it was about 65° in the day and 48° at night. I used a heat lamp and heat plate the first 3 weeks. Then I alternated weekly the heat plate and lamp. By week 5ish I only used the heat plate. My house is cool, maybe 68°…then I noticed watery poop, almost all water. So I started electrolytes. Next we barely walking wobbly, and very very lethargic. Still eating and drinking. This last week. A little more walking but very wobbly . Normal poop. But now she’s barely eating (she only wants peanut butter suet) and I have to make her drink.
Don't let her eat the suet, it's not great for her. She's losing feathers at best due to molting, at worst due to dehydration.
Have you tried vitamin therapy? Specifically b and e vitamins, I don't know how much the poly sol has.

Back
Top Bottom