Possible mites and worms?

madsnbot

Songster
Jun 16, 2022
So I have two problems with my chickens! of course.
Problem #1, earlier today I picked up one of my silkie chicks to check it for PB(I got two silkie chicks from a breeder a few days ago) and I saw a little white bug crawling on her! At first i thought it was mites but mites are usually red/brown from what i’ve read so i’m not sure. It was white/off white. I only saw one. Sadly I can’t get a picture. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? is it lice?
Problem #2, i have a flock of older chickens who partly free range my backyard. Earlier i went to check on them and noticed a poop dropping had little white dots all over it. I’m not sure what it is, maybe worms??? I hope not. There was little flies everywhere so maybe it was just fly eggs? i honestly have no idea and could use some help. this specific poop was more liquid than usual but there was only one like this. Also, the little white specks weren’t moving. If anyone could help with either issue that would be appreciated!!
Picture below of the suspicious poop

Attachments

• 219BE2BC-9911-4E58-A59D-B4BA674916F6.jpeg
    219BE2BC-9911-4E58-A59D-B4BA674916F6.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 0F1B71D0-57F1-4B1F-8582-A4949DB1E1DA.jpeg
    0F1B71D0-57F1-4B1F-8582-A4949DB1E1DA.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 18
You're correct, you're dealing with lice. Permethrin dust will take care of them. Redust again in 10 days. Also look for lice eggs attached to feather shafts especially around the vent area, coconut oil will remove them.

I magnified the cecal feces photos and I saw a couple of what looked like curled cecal worms. I recommend that you worm your birds with Valbazen. Dose each chicken orally 1/2ml and repeat again in 10 days.

You're correct, you're dealing with lice. Permethrin dust will take care of them. Redust again in 10 days. Also look for lice eggs attached to feather shafts especially around the vent area, coconut oil will remove them.

I magnified the cecal feces photos and I saw a couple of what looked like curled cecal worms. I recommend that you worm your birds with Valbazen. Dose each chicken orally 1/2ml and repeat again in 10 days.
thank u !!

is there a brand of permethrin and valbazen you recommend? are lice and worms common in chickens?

is there a brand of permethrin and valbazen you recommend? are lice and worms common in chickens?
They can pick up stuff much like dogs from scratching around in the dirt ingesting goodies. Coccidiosis being a more common parasite. What's the environment like for your free rangers? I would try to keep them away from wet muddy areas, keep a tub of regularly turned dry sand/wood ash so they can dust bath as they like.

They can pick up stuff much like dogs from scratching around in the dirt ingesting goodies. Coccidiosis being a more common parasite. What's the environment like for your free rangers? I would try to keep them away from wet muddy areas, keep a tub of regularly turned dry sand/wood ash so they can dust bath as they like.
I like in FL, so there’s lots of sand but when it rains it gets muddy. The mites are gone and i haven’t really seen any worms in their poop:)

Back
Top Bottom