Possible prolapse + limping

eoneill2k

Chirping
May 19, 2021
Ireland
Hi all, one of my hens was missing overnight and showed up this afternoon, but when I put her back with the others I noticed she was limping, and when I checked on her I notice her vent was covered in white (I think feces?) and there was a fleshy lump sticking out of her vent. Brought her in and gently cleaned off some of the white and found blood also. Abdomen is soft/she doesn't seem egg bound, but her tail is down and while she isn't lethargic (bright eyes, watching her surroundings) she's also not making any move to get away or complain. She's currently just standing in front of me with her left leg stuck out and I'm a bit at a loss as to what I should do: I know prolapses you basically just gently push it back in and apply vaseline or honey to prevent it drying out and getting infected, but is this a prolapse? I don't want to do the wrong thing and make it worse 😢
If it means anything, she does seem to be the roosters favourite hen, so he might be on her a lot?
20230930_162512.jpg
20230930_161534.jpg

It does look like a prolapse, but not a bad one at all.
Keep the tissue moist with the things you said, or a cream. I would get some calcium citrate +D3 or tums and give her some incase she's having trouble with an egg. Keep her separated so she doesn't get picked at.
As for her leg, does she use it at all? Can she wrap her toes around your finger?

It does look like a prolapse, but not a bad one at all.
Keep the tissue moist with the things you said, or a cream. I would get some calcium citrate +D3 or tums and give her some incase she's having trouble with an egg. Keep her separated so she doesn't get picked at.
As for her leg, does she use it at all? Can she wrap her toes around your finger?
Thank you for responding!

She has a strong grip on my finger and she is standing in a more natural posture, but she's not really putting weight on it.

I'm not sure about calcium citrate, but we should have calcium carbonate tablets, would those be any good?

Thank you for responding!

She has a strong grip on my finger and she is standing in a more natural posture, but she's not really putting weight on it.
She probably just sprained it or something, it would be best to have her separated so she won't use it a ton and it'll heal.
With leg injuries they can take awhile to get better.

Oh, take a look at the bottom of her foot and make sure she doesn't have bumble foot. Bumble foot basically looks like a scab.
I'm not sure about calcium citrate, but we should have calcium carbonate tablets, would those be any good?
Yes, that will work!
Give her one tablet once a day, just pop in right in her mouth and she'll swallow.

She probably just sprained it or something, it would be best to have her separated so she won't use it a ton and it'll heal.
With leg injuries they can take awhile to get better.

Oh, take a look at the bottom of her foot and make sure she doesn't have bumble foot. Bumble foot basically looks like a scab.

Yes, that will work!
Give her one tablet once a day, just pop in right in her mouth and she'll swallow.
happy to report no scabbing! i've applied the vasoline, going to grab the rest of the stuff now. I've seen elsewhere that you can just... push it back in? I'm not so sure about that, mainly because i haven't had a this happen to a hen before.

A sprain does sound plausible, she was missing last night because she'd gotten herself over the fence and into our neighbours garden (thankfully they don't have dogs + she's otherwise unhurt) so she might have hurt herself over there or trying to get back

happy to report no scabbing! i've applied the vasoline, going to grab the rest of the stuff now. I've seen elsewhere that you can just... push it back in? I'm not so sure about that, mainly because i haven't had a this happen to a hen before.
Great there's no scabbing! So that rules bumblefoot out.
With a prolapse, it will either go in itself, or need to be pushed back in.
With hers, it may go back in on its own. It does depend if she's having trouble with an egg though.
What I would do is give the calcium, keep the prolapse moist, and wait for a day or so and see if she lays an egg. If she doesn't lay an egg in that time, then I would start working that prolapse back in.
A sprain does sound plausible, she was missing last night because she'd gotten herself over the fence and into our neighbours garden (thankfully they don't have dogs + she's otherwise unhurt) so she might have hurt herself over there or trying to get back
She probably did sprain it.
I currently have a hen who I found limping over two weeks ago, I have her separated and her leg is slowly healing. I know it's going to take another two weeks or so until she's better.

A stuck egg can put pressure on the ischiatic nerve and the hen may show a limp regarding her left leg.

I hope she will recover soon with the additional calcium citrate.
it is the left leg she's carrying, i'm going into town to get the calcium so i'll be able to give it to her in a while. i'll update here how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom