Possible prolapse

kshem

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2023
One of my 6 month RIR hens has what I believe to be a prolapse. I noticed a small piece of reddish flesh sticking out from her vent today, and since have separated her. I just started them on some calcium pills today because i've been having a few shell less/soft shell eggs under their perches in the am after they have roosted all night. I'm not 100% sure if she has laid yet either. I have sprayed her vent area with healxcel poultry wound spray and plan to do calcium again tomorrow. I've done probiotics and electrolytes in her water. Is there anything else I can do for the vent area to help it?

Do you have any pictures of her vent are that shows the prolapse? Keep her prolapse moist with vaseline or similar oil, until her prolapse goes back inside. You can try to push it in gently, but it may take some days for it to stay in. I would give another calcium tablet tomorrow.

Do you have any pictures of her vent are that shows the prolapse? Keep her prolapse moist with vaseline or similar oil, until her prolapse goes back inside. You can try to push it in gently, but it may take some days for it to stay in. I would give another calcium tablet tomorrow.
I don't have a picture, I planned on getting one tomorrow. I have her downstairs where it's quiet and dark for now. The spray Ive been using is a 5 in 1 wound care and has been keeping it moist! I didn't notice any off colored tissue, just the fleshy bit popping out. I'm going to attempt to give her an Epsom salt soak tomorrow too, I really don't want to have to push on it only out of fear of hurting her more than helping

Let us know how she gets along tomorrow.
I don't have a picture, I planned on getting one tomorrow. I have her downstairs where it's quiet and dark for now. The spray Ive been using is a 5 in 1 wound care and has been keeping it moist! I didn't notice any off colored tissue, just the fleshy bit popping out. I'm going to attempt to give her an Epsom salt soak tomorrow too, I really don't want to have to push on it only out of fear of hurting her more than helping

This was the best I could get this am, she isn't thrilled about me taking pictures of it 🤣

It didn't seem to pop out unless she was straining so I sprayed it down with the healxcel again, and she got another calcium tablet. She is pooping, eating and drinking fine so I'm hoping a few days separated will do the trick. I plan to give her an Epsom salt soak today if she will let me. I did notice it looks red and irritated around her vent though?

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_074023953.jpg
    IMG_20240128_074023953.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 17
Hard to see the vent very well. Since separating her can make the others peck or attack her, I would let her have supervised visits with the flock daily, unless she has obvious red prolapse tissue visible. They will peck and injure that. You could also place her in a wire dog crate with the flock so they can interact.

Hard to see the vent very well. Since separating her can make the others peck or attack her, I would let her have supervised visits with the flock daily, unless she has obvious red prolapse tissue visible. They will peck and injure that. You could also place her in a wire dog crate with the flock so they can interact.
I think if it's not poking out at bedtime I'll take her back out to the coop at bedtime. I have one older hen who is very picky and not very nice to my reds 🤦

Let us know how it goes. If the prolapse comes out by straining to lay an egg or other reason, the red will attract pecking. I hope everything goes well.

Let us know how it goes. If the prolapse comes out by straining to lay an egg or other reason, the red will attract pecking. I hope everything goes well.
Thank you! That's why I'm gonna keep her separated for a day or two to make sure it's not going to continue popping out, and hopefully keep her from straining or laying if she is one of the ones laying no shell/soft shell eggs

Put her back in at bedtime, hadn't seen anything coming out of her vent!! She wouldn't roost though and wanted to be in a nesting box so gave her 30 minutes and checked and she laid a good, small hard shelled egg and nothing was popping out of the vent after!

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_195007793.jpg
    IMG_20240128_195007793.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom