Possible tumor advice

I like the drawing!
Poor girl. It may be a tumor or some other material in the abdominal cavity, hard to know.
Thank you! I am going to try and get an x-ray next week at her follow up, at this point I'm hoping it's a benign tumor since I've had other animals live happy lives with them.

Your other thread is linked below.
I don't see a tumor mentioned in the other thread.

Did the vet take an xray to see where the tumor was located and what it may look like?
I don't believe anyone can know if a tumor is benign or not without a biopsy.

Could be she has something going on with her gizzard, she may have a blockage in the intestines, tumor in the abdomen, internally laying, caseous exudes due to EYP or Salpingitis...there's so many things.

She didn't lose weight all in a day, so she shouldn't gain weight too rapidly. Give her the food recommended by your vet. If you wish to feed her something else, stick with poultry feed like chick starter or an all flock feed. Small treats of scrambled egg, fish (mackerel, sardines, tuna) or bits of meat can be given to boost protein.

It's good that she's acting spunky. I'd put her with her flock and let her chicken until she's unable to chicken anymore.

If you do lose her, please consider having a necropsy done through your State Lab or perhaps by the vet, but you will want to get a written report of the findings, so you know what the cause of decline was and what the tumor was. Often going through your State Lab will be more economical and thorough than going through your vet depending on where you live.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-1-5-year-old-hen-help—what-to-do-next.1607622/page-2

Update on sick chicken and advice

I was able to find a vet who would see my sick chicken last week and she suspects a tumor on her lower left side near her vent and left leg. Is it possible that this tumor is benign? Or is it possible that it’s not a tumor? We can’t do any exploratory surgery as she would not survive the anesthesia at her current weight.

This is the hen who lost weight and the vet said she’s emaciated enough that if my hen doesn’t show improvement soon she’d recommend putting her down. We have another appointment next week and she gave me Harrison’s recovery food in the meantime but does anyone have advice on foods/treatments that could help her put on more weight quickly? She’s still acting spunky enough that I don’t want to give up on her yet. (She’s wet in this picture from us washing her backside; she is kept in a dry environment otherwise). Thank you!!
Updating as of 01.18.2024

Salt had a 3rd vet appointment and has not gained any weight worth noting. The vet did say however that she does not seem to be in any pain and seems to be enjoying life minus the fatigue so she recommended keeping her warm and offering her any food she will take in the meantime. The vet said that it is likely that the tumor is taking a lot of her nutrients but as long as she doesn't get worse it is not inhumane to keep trying to feed her and get her well enough to go back outside to socialize with the rest of the flock (she currently gets one chicken buddy in the heated garage with her so she's not lonely).

She also said that if Salt does take a turn for the worse they can fit me in for an emergency euthanasia if I cannot do it myself. Realistically, she won't get back to her full self and won't live to her expected life expectancy but I can keep her happy as long as she is not in pain. It's really hard but I'm hoping she will start eating more so she can go back to the flock as it's freezing here and she doesn't have the fat or muscle to be warm outside.

I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there.
Cold weather would be hard on her, so I'm glad you're able to keep her in the garage with a buddy. A buddy can often help them show more interest in eating, so hopefully she'll start to eat better.

I'm glad to hear she's still hanging in there.
Cold weather would be hard on her, so I'm glad you're able to keep her in the garage with a buddy. A buddy can often help them show more interest in eating, so hopefully she'll start to eat better.
Me too. It's funny, sometimes she doesn't want to eat but still guards the food from her friend. I might look into getting a brooder plate and putting it in the coop if she gains enough weight to go outside.

Update on sick chicken and advice

I was able to find a vet who would see my sick chicken last week and she suspects a tumor on her lower left side near her vent and left leg. Is it possible that this tumor is benign? Or is it possible that it’s not a tumor? We can’t do any exploratory surgery as she would not survive the anesthesia at her current weight.

This is the hen who lost weight and the vet said she’s emaciated enough that if my hen doesn’t show improvement soon she’d recommend putting her down. We have another appointment next week and she gave me Harrison’s recovery food in the meantime but does anyone have advice on foods/treatments that could help her put on more weight quickly? She’s still acting spunky enough that I don’t want to give up on her yet. (She’s wet in this picture from us washing her backside; she is kept in a dry environment otherwise). Thank you!!
Final update, 01.30.24

Salt passed away this evening at the vet. She woke up today hungry but unable to stand and we got an emergency vet appointment where she said she lost 17% of her body mass despite eating more and having solid poops again. We chose euthanasia as it was surprisingly cheap and saved us from having to decide whether to let her pass on her own or cull her ourselves. She got a mealworm party with the rest of the flock in the garage and then I brought her inside for fireplace time, snow, and berries.

We are cremating her and having her ashes returned since it is too cold here to bury her outside. Thank you everyone who gave advice and for being there for her <3

Attachments

• IMG_9007.jpeg
    IMG_9007.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8996.jpeg
    IMG_8996.jpeg
    653.2 KB · Views: 5
Final update, 01.30.24

Salt passed away this evening at the vet. She woke up today hungry but unable to stand and we got an emergency vet appointment where she said she lost 17% of her body mass despite eating more and having solid poops again. We chose euthanasia as it was surprisingly cheap and saved us from having to decide whether to let her pass on her own or cull her ourselves. She got a mealworm party with the rest of the flock in the garage and then I brought her inside for fireplace time, snow, and berries.

We are cremating her and having her ashes returned since it is too cold here to bury her outside. Thank you everyone who gave advice and for being there for her <3
I'm sorry to hear about Salt:hugs

Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom