Possible vent gleet and vent prolapse

Toma Burdi

Hatching
May 14, 2024
Hello everyone!
I am just starting to learn about chickens. My partner and I have a four-year-old hen. This hen has possible prolapsed vent and vent gleet.
She is less active, her vent is red and enlarged.
She has white discharge that smells.
Please help us!

Attachments

• IMG_0743.jpeg
    IMG_0743.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    808.5 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to BYC. She has a prolapse and a very damaged vent. The others have probably been pecking at it. It can cause urates to constantly leak out of the vent. Is there any egg matter from the vent where she might have been egg bound or had an egg break inside? Have you seen any shell-less eggs recently? Get her cleaned up with soaking her vent area in either soapy water or Epsom salts water. Apply some Neosporin or vaseline to the prolapse to keep it from drying out. Take another picture. Keep her separated so that she doesn’t get pecked or killed. Did she have any vent damage or feather loss around her vent before her prolapse?

Is that a piece of eggshell stuck in that mess? Is she currently isolated from the other chickens? If not, get her separated right away since they can peck a prolapsed hen to death.
@Eggcessive @azygous
We have only two of them in a coop.
Those pictures I took yesterday. Today the vent is more in, and she has a white jelly discharge and she is constantly sitting like she is trying to poop

Back
Top Bottom