Possible vent obstruction? Disease?

sassfras

Chirping
Jun 6, 2016
I have a nine month old cuckoo maran who is definitely having an issue with laying/pooping. Over the last week or so I have found a couple shell-less eggs (not just soft shelled, there was absolutely no shell). More recently I found a couple almost scrambled egg looking poops, but I couldn't see yolk and since they were frozen (New Hampshire is cold these days) I assumed just the usual poop variation. This morning during the ladies daily inspection, the maran in question had some off looking poo in her butt. I picked her up, and using a towel I gently removed what I assume was a mixture of poop and most definitely some soft egg shell as well as albumen from the fluff and then pulled some from the vent. Now she is walking around fluffed up, tail down, mopey. Her weight is fine, breathing is fine, she feels a normal temperature. I brought her in to wash up the bum, and dried it as best she would allow (due to her behavior I could only clean a very small amount of the butt fluff). When I gave them all meal worms, she was happily gobbling them up. While mopey, she is scratching and pecking the ground. Her vent area is normal looking, and when I was cleaning the area it did the usual puckering. While I've looked into some treatments, the only thing I've done thus far is given her a crushed tums to up her calcium. Would Corid in case of infection be proactive? None of the other ladies are acting off, but I don't want anyone to pick on her (it's been a very pissy couple weeks due to the cold, despite their ample space).

I have a nine month old cuckoo maran who is definitely having an issue with laying/pooping. Over the last week or so I have found a couple shell-less eggs (not just soft shelled, there was absolutely no shell). More recently I found a couple almost scrambled egg looking poops, but I couldn't see yolk and since they were frozen (New Hampshire is cold these days) I assumed just the usual poop variation. This morning during the ladies daily inspection, the maran in question had some off looking poo in her butt. I picked her up, and using a towel I gently removed what I assume was a mixture of poop and most definitely some soft egg shell as well as albumen from the fluff and then pulled some from the vent. Now she is walking around fluffed up, tail down, mopey. Her weight is fine, breathing is fine, she feels a normal temperature. I brought her in to wash up the bum, and dried it as best she would allow (due to her behavior I could only clean a very small amount of the butt fluff). When I gave them all meal worms, she was happily gobbling them up. While mopey, she is scratching and pecking the ground. Her vent area is normal looking, and when I was cleaning the area it did the usual puckering. While I've looked into some treatments, the only thing I've done thus far is given her a crushed tums to up her calcium. Would Corid in case of infection be proactive? None of the other ladies are acting off, but I don't want anyone to pick on her (it's been a very pissy couple weeks due to the cold, despite their ample space).

What do you feed them?
Do they have access to crushed oyster shells?

What do you feed them?
Do they have access to crushed oyster shells?
They eat a non-gmo layer pellet, and I dump oyster shell in it (like a lot) as well as putting extra out recently as I noticed some of the ladies shells were getting weak. The extra started around the same time I noticed the shell-less egg.

They eat a non-gmo layer pellet, and I dump oyster shell in it (like a lot) as well as putting extra out recently as I noticed some of the ladies shells were getting weak. The extra started around the same time I noticed the shell-less egg.

Oyster shell should not be mixed with feed, it should be kept in a separate dish so that the hen Will only eat the amount she needs.
That might very well just be the reason as to why you’re getting weird eggs.

Last edited:
It sounds like she is having some serious reproductive issues which can lead to infection and can lead to egg yolk peritonitis. I would give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D3 for the next 3 days. Insert a finger into her vent an inch to feel for any egg matter, shell, or egg shell membrane. Get some antibiotics if possible to treat her for infection. Amoxicillin is good, Baytril (enrofloxacin) is better. Dosage of Baytril is 0.05ml per pound twice a day for 5 days. Here are some links for antibiotics:
https://www.chewy.com/thomas-labs-fish-mox-amoxicillin/dp/157939

https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/

It sounds like she is having some serious reproductive issues which can lead to infection and can lead to egg yolk peritonitis. I would give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D3 for the next 3 days. Insert a finger into her vent an inch to feel for any egg matter, shell, or egg shell membrane. Get some antibiotics if possible to treat her for infection. Amoxicillin is good, Baytril (enrofloxacin) is better. Dosage of Baytril is 0.05ml per pound twice a day for 5 days. Here are some links for antibiotics:
https://www.chewy.com/thomas-labs-fish-mox-amoxicillin/dp/157939

https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/
Thank you so much! I was wondering about checking her vent but I didn’t want to go bothering her any more than I had (she also got picked on and I had to clean up her bloody comb. Rough day.) Hopefully tomorrow she’ll be up for it (at the very least no worse).

Well, make sure she gets better. I’m only here for offering compliments.
get better soon little chicken.

Oh and by the way, Corid is only for treatment of coccidiosis, an intestinal disease, not an antibiotic.
I googled it and saw that, had totally forgotten that was why I originally bought it, but thank you for coming back to mention it, you’re so sweet! I go into panic mode over the chickens when they’re sick and I lose about half the knowledge I had to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom