Possibly Marek's. Looking for any info possible

Foghorn168

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2018
I will try to keep this as short as I can. I have read a lot on Marek's disease. I'm looking for any suggestions on why I have lost some young chicks and juveniles?
Sudden death, no signs of the stages that Marek's presents. The only hen that had possible symptoms of Marek's was a Bantam hen about 2-3 years of age that couldn't stand up. No spreading of the legs, discoloration of eyes, etc. Thinking something internal, liver ? I did do a fecal to rule out coccidiosis or worms tests came back negative, but the fecal I gathered wasn't from all the chicks and juveniles. I have about 40 in one area. Impossible to get them all, so wondering if some could have worms? But again no symptoms or signs that are typically present with those diseases.
Running, jumping eating, then I open the coop in the morning to find another dead. I can't begin to tell you the feeling I have to think this is possible? I am trying to process of illumination to rule out different diseases.
My question is does Marek's just kill suddenly with no other signs? Could worms cause sudden death with no signs or mycoplasma? I did treat my entire flock including all the youngsters a little over a month ago for mycoplasma. They were seen by my vet and vet prescription given. Could it be a strain that takes lifes with no signs or symptoms?? I have noticed a few periodically just standing a few times inside their fenced in area with their eyes closed, but the minute I reached over to pick them up they scattered and resumed as normal. Is that indication of pain or something internal?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Quote Reply
Report Edit
[IMG alt="Eggcessive"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/85/85053.jpg?1494374926[/IMG]

Eggcessive

Addict​

Premium Feather Member

12 Years
  • Educator
  • Spirit
  • Friend
Today at 1:42 PM
The best way to determine a cause of death is to have your state vet do a necropsy/autopsy asap. Keep the body cold, not frozen.

Yes, some chickens can die suddenly of Mareks, but there may have been unseen symptoms.

Chickens rest with their eyes closed, standing up, and may be startled or awakened when approached.

It would be good to start a thread about your concerns.

Like Quote Reply
Reactions:Wyorp Rock

F

Foghorn168

In the Brooder​

Today at 1:55 PM
The best way to determine a cause of death is to have your state vet do a necropsy/autopsy asap. Keep the body cold, not frozen.

Yes, some chickens can die suddenly poof Mareks, but there may have been unseen symptoms.

Chickens rest with their eyes closed, standing up, and may be startled or awakened when approached.

It would be good to start a thread about your concerns.
So you are saying that Marek's can cause sudden death? I spend a lot of time observing my chickens. I have the privilege of working from home and running our hobby farm. I have not seen any odd behavior that would indicate it? I have been researching driving myself crazy with info overload. I am a experienced 8 year owner of chickens so i am aware of most symptoms. This has me puzzled? You would think out of the 5 I have lost that I would have noticed something?
Also what are your thoughts on the other 2 things I mentioned? Mycoplasma and worms.

Quote Reply
Report Edit

[IMG alt="Wyorp Rock"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/380/380647.jpg?1602266798[/IMG]

Wyorp Rock

🐓🐛

Premium Feather Member

7 Years
  • Spirit
  • Educator
  • Friend
Today at 2:31 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Do you normally have 40 cooped together?
Could they be suffering from being trampled or from heat exhaustion?

Like Quote Reply
Reactions:Eggcessive
F

Foghorn168

In the Brooder​

Today at 3:40 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Do you normally have 40 cooped together?
Could they be suffering from being trampled or from heat exhaustion?
They have a huge custom built shed with lots of windows and ventilation. Also a huge outside fenced in area with shaded trees. I am in upstate NY. It's hot ( 80-85 degrees) , but nothing like most states. Tons of room to run around, play and more.

Quote Reply
Report Edit

[IMG alt="Eggcessive"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/m/85/85053.jpg?1494374926[/IMG]

Eggcessive

Addict​

Premium Feather Member

12 Years
  • Educator
  • Spirit
  • Friend
Today at 4:20 PM
Usually with mycoplasma there would probably be respiratory symptoms if that were the cause of death. Worms are most damaging in young chickens, and can cause intestinal damage. I think you would see signs of worms if those were a big problem. Cornell has a great vet school and path lab for necropsies.

Like Quote Reply
F

Foghorn168

In the Brooder​

56 minutes ago
If I loose another I will send it to my vet to send out. Assuming if it is Marek's, from what you have heard how many weeks does it take to take it's toll on your flock? I understand the death toll percentage can be from 1%- 50%? Some might be carriers for years. How long will it take for me to see the back side of it? Most of the ones seperated in my grow out pens are from 5 weeks to 4 months?

Quote Reply
Report Edit

SmiliesBoldText colorFont sizeFont familyItalicListAlignment
  • Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text
More options…
Insert imageQuoteInsert linkMediaMore options…

DraftsMore options…
Preview

Strike-throughUnderlineInline spoilerParagraph formatInline code
Insert GIFGallery embedAMS: Article | Page | Series embedInsert horizontal lineInsert tableSpoilerCode
UndoToggle BB codeRemove formatting

Write your reply...
Attach files Insert quotes…

Conversation info​

Participants3Replies6Last reply date56 minutes agoLast reply fromFoghorn168

Conversation info​

1. [IMG alt="Eggcessive"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/s/85/85053.jpg?1494374926[/IMG]
    Eggcessive
    Addict
  2. F
    Foghorn168
    In the Brooder
  3. [IMG alt="Wyorp Rock"]https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/avatars/s/380/380647.jpg?1602266798[/IMG]
    Wyorp Rock
    🐓🐛
Invite more

Back
Top Bottom