Possibly moving- What should I need to know and do to prepare?

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey yall I might be moving soon. We aren't sure and nothing is definite, its only a possibility, but I want to be prepared. We have been trying to move for months and even if this house doesn't work out we still plan to look. Its only about roughly 40 miles from here and 45 minutes away at most, depending on what roads we take. The property is 10 acres of taller weeds and grass with very few trees. Its surrounded by trees, and is on the end of a curve on a 45 mph pavement road and a gravel road intersects with that, and that's what the house is on. There is a drain-like creek thing bordering the one side of the property, and one of my concerns is the ducks will try to go down in it and not be able to get back up. There is a little old coop there currently holding doves and pheasant. The coop is being left at the home we might buy, but I also plan to move mine. I currently have 7 ducks and 12 chickens all full grown and 4 chicks and 4 ducklings. In total 27 birds, but onIy the 19 adults are together and will need to ride in either a trailer or a truck bed, as I plan to have the babies in the car with me. I have some questions I need help getting answers for.
1. Should and how do I prepare my birds for a move?
2. How do I secure the birds while I drive? (I don't really have crates that are usable aside from a small cat carrier and a smaller rabbit cage.) AND would it be ok to leave them loose in the stock trailer with shavings? ( I feel like its not a good idea but I don't know. )
3. Should they ride in a truck bed or my stock trailer? I possibly will be able to use a bed topper on my truck but am not sure yet. (I have a photo below of the truck and trailer) ALSO: Please note that I would never leave them loose in the truck bed, I mentioned that only if I am able to get enough crates together.
4. Is it ok to drive on the highway or should I take backroads?
5. My birds free range now, and if I wanted to there, how long should I wait before doing so, and what should I do to make sure they stay close? (I have a small run I can keep them in and I could build a larger one if needed for long term.)
6. If I were to use the coop left there, how long should I wait to use it and how should I disinfect it?
7. There is a drain bordering the one side of the property that has steep banks and I'm sure the ducks will try to swim in. Should I block it off from them?
8. The ducks will need to be able to swim/bathe regularly, and I have a kiddie pool and a deeper landscaping pond thing I could put into the ground, should I do that for them?
9. Anything I should do to make them more comfortable and get to know there new home better if we move there?
10. Anything else I should know?

1649715275045.jpeg

The full grown birds will travel fine in the trailer, with or without bedding. Or for that short of distance, in any type of box. I have had some brought to me in gunny sacks - and while their feathers were mussed for a few days, there was no ill effects. And for that short of distance, traveling in the late evening, so as not to over heat them, I would pack them pretty tightly in whatever containers I had. But if I had that trailer - that is what I would use.

In fact, I think I would do the whole thing in late, late afternoon, put them in the trailer, drive it to where you are going. Wait till they are asleep, move them into the coop and let them wake up there.

I would expect them to stop laying for a few days after the move. And they will be a bit discombobulated with the new coop.

I have kept chickens for years and the only thing I have ever used to clean one is a pitchfork and a broom. If you might empty it out, you might spray it for bugs. Then add fresh bedding.

I would keep them locked up in the coop/run for a couple of days, that is all it really takes for mine. Once mine have slept in a good coop for two nights, mine have no trouble going back there.

I have no advice for the ducks.

Mrs K

I would certainly get a box for your ducklings. Depending on their age and type of duckling, they may like to travel with the lid open, watching where they are going, from your front passenger seat. Muscovy cannot be carried in an open box, as they will jump out. My son's pekins loved to travel when they were 8 to 16 weeks old. Now they have to have the lid on the box as they too try and get out. A large cardboard moving box is fine. You can close but not seal the top flaps and just cover with a sheet or similar.
I would also try and borrow dog crates for your adult ducks. They will just be safer within the confines of a dog crate: 2 in each large dog crate, in the flat bed of your truck or the stock trailer than loose if they startle and start to flap wings and run round. Again, cover the crates with a sheet or similar as that keeps them quieter than seeing moving sky/trees/traffic.

Your local wildlife rehabber may be willing to loan you dog crates for your ducks. Depending on the size you can borrow, put 2 or 3 ducks in large dog crates. So, 3 large dog crates would suffice

Whether to travel back roads or highways depends on the back roads and highways. Going a gentle rate on straight roads is better than swinging them round curves, but it is difficult to go a gentle rate on many highways!! I would tend towards doing the highway and staying in the inside lane, with no overtaking. My preference for ducks, would be to crate them at dusk and travel in the dark, but not let them out until daylight. Ducks are too wakeful/restless to be quietly unpacked in the dark and introduced to their new home

I have never traveled with chickens

For a short drive like that they should be fine packed in well-ventilated boxes, crates, pet carriers, etc. Ask friends to borrow extras.

You should pack them in tightly enough to not be able to flap around in panic hurting themselves and cover them up so that they're in the dark and may sleep.

I'd use the stock trailer since it's made to move animals over roads and highways. Well-ventilated, but free from drafts.

Back
Top Bottom