Possibly sick hen? Please help!

PNW keeper

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
8A89D3A6-6A4C-4878-939C-FD648ED963F3.jpeg

My 3 month old cream legbar has been not herself lately. She is the sweetest and most human social among my flock of 8.

Here are her symptoms:

- Her comb and feet seem quite pale this last week or so
- Today she seems to be very sleepy
- she’s always been quite small compared to her sister from the same batch (not exactly a symptom, but she has always been small)

I’ve put out some water with electrolytes in there but otherwise not sure what to do. My birds only stay in their enclosed run and coop, no exposure to outside birds.

What might this issue be? And how can I help her??

I would get her drinking, and start her on Corid (amprollium) in her water in case of coccidiosis. She has “the look.” Is she having any diarrhea with mucus or blood? Will she eat or drink? Corid dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat other pullets as well. It is always good to look for lice or mites on the skin, and to make sure that she isn’t being kept from water or food.

I would get her drinking, and start her on Corid (amprollium) in her water in case of coccidiosis. She has “the look.” Is she having any diarrhea with mucus or blood? Will she eat or drink? Corid dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat other pullets as well. It is always good to look for lice or mites on the skin, and to make sure that she isn’t being kept from water or food.
She appears to have diarrhea. The whole flock has been on the medicated feed I've been using since I got them. I'm not certain if she is eating / drinking.

I will go pick up the Corid and see if that helps. Thank you.

She might have worms. I had another chicken with similar symptoms and I didn't know what to do until she collapsed in the yard. She is fine now and is just recovering from another health problem

Back to the point. If she has worms try instead of antibiotics, soaking chopped up garlic in water overnight and put it in their water with a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegr. Don't do too much as you don't want to burn their little tummies. And do keep us posted.

Corid is not an antibiotic. I would start the Corid in the water. Do not give any vitamins that include B 1 thiamine during treatment. It won’t hurt to worm once Corid is finished. Most people use Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer which are very safe.

Corid is not an antibiotic. I would start the Corid in the water. Do not give any vitamins that include B 1 thiamine during treatment. It won’t hurt to worm once Corid is finished. Most people use Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer which are very safe.
Thanks again. I should probably swap out my water again. I had mixed in some electrolytes earlier and looking online I see it does contain thiamine. Will swap ASAP when I get home.

It’s only been about 2 days since I started her and the flock on Corid. Not much has changed. She still looks pretty sad. Is there anything else I can do? Could I take her to a vet or something?

Back
Top Bottom