Possibly Sick Serama - Clear Snot Bubbles.

Szulptist

Chirping
Apr 10, 2015
USA - NY
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of Serama chickens and both seem healthy other than the hens peculiar mucus related issues. Last night I noticed when I picked her up that she had two small streams of clear liquid coming out of her nose. At first I thought she had just dunked her beak in the water to drink but the streams were pretty clearly coming from her nose and the rest of her beak was dry. I wiped it off and it was a bit thicker and more mucousy than water. It was perfectly clear and after I wiped it away there were no further observable issues. Tonight I took her out and she blew a snot bubble and sneezed a few times, wiping her nose on the ground. Clear mucus but concerning none-the-less.

This thread is the backstory behind the two birds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/serama-indoor-pet-managing-smell.1211990/

Important Details:

- Clear Mucus from Hen Only
- Flew in overnight from Puerto Rico less than a week ago
- Clean feet
- No Signs of External Parasites
- Clear Eyes
- Possibly Fatigued.

These are the first two chickens I've ever had and I don't know much about them. I've been raising pigeons for a few years now and I was considering giving her a teaspoon of doxycycline mixed with amoxicillin (in a gallon of water) for a week followed by a day or two of probiotics. I also have Tylan, 4 in 1, Apple Cider Vinegar, Canker Pills and Moxidectin Plus. I know most of those aren't relevant to the symptoms but they're the meds I have readily available. I know how they work in pigeons but not in chickens.

Please help.

Eric
Pennys Nose.png

Mucous and sneezing can be from a number of things - the most common is respiratory illnesses like Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT. Dry dusty feed and bedding, molds and other environmental factors can also cause respiratory symptoms - if she is being housed inside, try to determine if you are using any cleaning products, household sprays, disinfectants, etc., that could be causing the symptoms.

All respiratory illnesses are contagious and most make birds carriers of the illness for life. Antibiotics will help treat any secondary infections, but won't cure the illness. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
It's up to you if you want to treat with antibiotics, some people wait to see if symptoms improve/worsen, then make that decision. IF you do, then I would recommend using the Tylan. Which do you have - powder or injectable? Injectable Tylan50 is commonly used for respiratory illnesses - it can be given orally or by injection - since your girl is so tiny, orally would be best, imho. Dosage is .10ml per 1lb of weight given 2times a day for 5days.

could be nothing, could be something

i would look into the changing of bedding/feeds an keep and eye on it and let us know if there are any changes with her or any of the other birds

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies, I will be giving a more in-depth reply soon but tonight I have to hit the hay in a minute or so.

There is no bedding, the pine shavings were added after the sneezing was already observed. I also haven't used the PDZ powder yet.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the nose tonight, they both seem fine but there is a tiny tiny dried booger in the hen's nose. For now I will just keep an eye on things. I added probiotics to their water tonight. Maybe it'll help things blow over faster.

Eric

It seems the hen only sneezes when I bring her to my couch. I'm starting to suspect she might just be allergic to our dog Cher or something else upstairs. Otherwise she seems fine. I am going to just continue to keep an eye on her. Thank you all so much!

Eric

It seems the hen only sneezes when I bring her to my couch. I'm starting to suspect she might just be allergic to our dog Cher or something else upstairs. Otherwise she seems fine. I am going to just continue to keep an eye on her. Thank you all so much!

Eric

If she is sneezing when handled, it could be a nervous reaction - who knows. I suppose it's possible she could be allergic to a dog - never heard of it before. You mention "or something else upstairs" - cleaning products or not enough fresh air are also possibilities.

I think you are making the right call by just keeping watch on her - you may want to take special note of when/where she sneezes and see if there is any definite connection (detective work;)).

She is absolutely adorable - I hope all goes well for you!

Back
Top Bottom