Possum stalking chickens!

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Never ever had a problem with predators in my 7 years of owning chickens. I got a huge Possum coming every night around their run and coop. Husband has been working while he shows up and I'm not good with a gun. So my question is are they good at getting in? He looks lazy moves slow.

Get a Have-a-heart trap to catch him and relocate. (If you are brave, they're not too hard to catch by hand. Just have something on so they can't bite you, and pick them up by the scruff of their neck.) They're not a major predator and often is after eggs, though will bite a chicken. I have had them get into one of my pens before, but if you have a secure coop, you shouldn't have to worry much.

Relocating wild animal is illegal in some states, so anyone who is thinking of doing that should check the laws of their own state.
Thanks for sharing this! I didn't know about that. I'll try to include this fact on anywhere I suggest to relocate.
And even when relocation is legal, it might just cause that predator to become a problem for someone else.
That's true. Try to relocate in a place far from any homes or farms if possible. Also don't relocate near busy highways.

My experience !

Attachments

• D68D79AC-CB15-4536-8F0F-70039F7C08E6.jpeg
    D68D79AC-CB15-4536-8F0F-70039F7C08E6.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 3F3EE3DA-F1DF-4100-89FC-35C0AD4876CE.jpeg
    3F3EE3DA-F1DF-4100-89FC-35C0AD4876CE.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 18
Get a Have-a-heart trap to catch him and relocate. (If you are brave, they're not too hard to catch by hand. Just have something on so they can't bite you, and pick them up by the scruff of their neck.) They're not a major predator and often is after eggs, though will bite a chicken. I have had them get into one of my pens before, but if you have a secure coop, you shouldn't have to worry much.
I wish I was brave enough to grab him like that lol im scared of those things

Back
Top Bottom