Possums are Chicken Killers

Pics
I caught my first possum last night,  I have lost at least 8 hens in the past year.  it is about the size of a cat.  I still suspect most of the damage is racoon, though I have never seen one here.  I live on a penninsula/island area with lots of mangroves and I think they live around there.  Trying to decide how to deal with this critter now.  

Jackie

Well, the one I caught in a trap in my chicken yard I shot. It was the first warm blooded creature I had ever shot. I didn't think I could do it bec I love animals so much. But, I thought about needing to protect my chickens and yelled "chicken killer!!" Then it hissed at me showing it's teeth and I pulled the trigger. I thought I would have nightmares but I haven't. I know I could do it again.

Last edited:
Well, the one I caught in a trap in my chicken yard I shot. It was the first warm blooded creature I had ever shot. I didn't think I could do it bec I love animals so much. But, I thought about needing to protect my chickens and yelled "chicken killer!!" Then it hissed at me showing it's teeth and I pulled the trigger. I thought I would have nightmares but I haven't. I know I could do it again.
I just had to laugh at this. The same thing I said when I caught an opossum today.

Be sure your water source is deep enough to fully cover the cage.... Things you dont thinnk about until that moment you say "oh crap"
yes zoeyheart my dh did think of that he made a big chest put heavy plastic in it to hold the water it is bigger then the cage and the water has been in it for a week now, so he is ready just was not shore what to use, i will have to go to store and get something for that beast

yes zoeyheart my dh did think of that he made a big chest put heavy plastic in it to hold the water it is bigger then the cage and the water has been in it for a week now, so he is ready just was not shore what to use, i will have to go to store and get something for that beast

ok we got it, and it is history had a nice swim, do hope it enjoyed the water, now to put it somewhere. we had kfc for dinner and dh used that.

Back
Top Bottom