Possums are Chicken Killers

Pics
Okay, so there was a HUGE opossum out behind the house last night. Well....HUGE as in bigger than the 15# dog that was worrying it into a corner but really didn't want to have to deal with those T E E T H !!!!

Aargh.

So....what is a person to do? How do I get rid of opossums? I think the chickens are safe in their coop and run, so I'm not too worried about them, but it's never certain, and it seems like this is the second or third time in the past month that the dogs have insisted that I get up out of bed in the middle of the night and "Do something about it"....

I don't have any guns, and I don't have the hand strength for a pistol anyway. I'm afraid if I set a trap I'll catch a dozen or so friendly cats. I'm wondering about something like a taser? Hmmmm....I just Googled them, and they are expensive....

Aargh....

Susan

Susie, have you never heard the old saying "Playing Possum"? The only thing that you need to immobilize or capture a possum is a broom. Just 'tickle' the possum vigorously around the head and shoulders with the business end of a straw broom. He or she will sull-up or begin playing like a possum or playing dead. Here is how the state of Washington describes 'playing possum"

The opossum is a slow runner and when threatened will usually growl, hiss, and bare its teeth or try to escape by climbing the nearest tree. However, when caught out in the daylight with little chance of escape, or when attacked, the opossum will “play possum.” This is a surprisingly effective defense commonly seen in insects. In such cases the opossum will fall on its side, curl its body, open its drooling mouth, and excrete droppings—all to give the appearance of being dead.
While the opossum is in this state, which lasts several minutes or several hours, no amount of prodding will produce a response. Though it appears to be in a catatonic state, its metabolic processes are as high as when the animal is fully alert.
When the opossum believes the danger has passed, it will begin to wiggle its ears in an effort to pick up sounds. If it thinks the danger has passed, it will pick up its head and look around. If danger persists, the opossum will play dead again.

Now once the possum is sulled he will appear for all intents and porpoises like he is dead. You may then pick him up by his prehensile tail and carry him around like a furry handbag.

There was a 4am barking and growling fest at my house last night. I looked out the back window with a flashlight and saw a HUGE possum trying to get into my coop through the sliding "clean out" tray. My German shepherd went tearing outside, and monster possum was so startled it played dead. Finally, when the dog wasn't looking, it started to run, and the dog gave chase. The possum climbed over my neighbors fence and disappeared into her yard. (She FEEDS IT!!!!)

I thought, no harm, no foul, possum lesson learned. At least my hardware cloth, triple latches, and welded wire bottom kept my coop safe from the attempted break in. I headed to work before sunrise, thinking all was well. When I came home in the early afternoon and checked on the girls before letting them out to range, there were 8 dead possum babies scattered around the outside of the coop. I guess they fell off in mommas scramble to escape. I feel NO GUILT. I'm actually considering getting a pellet gun and mounting a night ambush to get rid of momma once and for all.

Also, I'm not sure whether it will work or not, but I ordered coyote pee off of Amazon as well. Nothing is getting to my sweet ladies if I can help it.

Training means they have to survive the interaction. You should use the term "terminate". Termination sessions are now my default approach with opossums largely because dogs are the ones that conduct it.

I hate possums, we even have them out sometimes in broad daylight - don't know if they are rabid or not but, don't act strange.. They are so UGH-LEE I don't think even their mothers love them.

I hate possums, we even have them out sometimes in broad daylight - don't know if they are rabid or not but, don't act strange.. They are so UGH-LEE I don't think even their mothers love them.

I'm pretty sure I have read, several times, that possums are one of the very few mammals who don't get rabies (One of the reasons they are studied.) Raccoons, foxes and skunks are another story.
A neighbor's child found a "dead" opossum and put it in her doll carriage and pushed it home to show her parents. She went inside to get them and they came out just in time to see it run away.

Our first-ever post on a forum anywhere...

We lost one of our hens to a predator a week ago. The fault was ours: a design flaw on a latch. The only traces of our dear departed were some feathers about 15 feet from the enclosure, and some more beside a hole dug under our fence.

We presumed a fox, but reading here in may have been an opossum. Around 3:00 AM an opossum was scratching around the coop after we fixed the latch - tried chewing through the wood. A .22 fixed that.

So early in the morning I thought I may have woken the neighbors. Since I was up, I decided to check to see if shooting opossums at night was permitted. It turns out one needs a permit in Florida to take opossums by night with a flashlight:

http://m.myfwc.com/license/wildlife/nuisance-wildlife/gun-light

Huda thunkit?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom