post any and all waterfowl pictures here!!! ponds, pools, aviarys, coops, runs, etc.

I really like your pond. I dug a very small one beside our kiddie pool and covered the pool and the pond with a liner. The 3 ducks just love it, they'll slip over the ege of the kiddie pool into the pond. I'm also putting rock around the pond little by little. Everytime I go into the mountains I'll get a few rocks and add them around the pond. Now my only problem...BIG ONE...is that I'm still scooping! I got a shop vac thingy from Lowes that fits on their bucket and then you can just pour the water out...problem is, it didn't have enough power so I took it back. (I warned them ahead of time what I was using it for and if it didn't work could I return it and they said yes) I got online to find a way to make an easy, inexpensive water filtering system and they said to find a submersible pump, get a bucket,drill holes,place rocks on the bottom,then some sort of stuffing or cotton and then the pump to bring the water through. I found a pump at Ace Hardware and told them what I was wanting to do and they said that would work. I was going to put the filter in the kiddie pool and bring the water through the bottom little pond up to the pump to filter and then let it spill over back into the kiddie pool and then into the pond. The ducks eat so many plants then I saw these little baskets for water plants that I think I'll just put the whole plant in it at first so it can survive my ducks...ok...what do all of you think? I would love the feedback!
big_smile.png

Actually, none of these are really hers. All of the black ones were the ones that were in the nest she decided to adopt. The yellow ones actually came from a different pekin. She had been getting out of her pen every morning, and later I found a dozen eggs hidden under our four wheeler. She had only been laying on her eggs for a few days and was not happy when she saw me walking into the house with a bunch of eggs. So I gave her three of them and she was happy. She's a good little mommy too, she hatched 8 out of nine egg (the one that didn't hatch was still fully developed, just did not have the strength to hatch). It was so cute to watch how nervous she was when you would get near any one of those ducklings. The loved them so much :D
aww so cute!

I took some photos this morning of the ponds we put in and two current duck/goose houses.

This is the first pond we dug and house we built. As to the pond, we are very lucky and have heavy clay soil, so didn't need a liner of any kind; only our tractor, loader bucket, and a few hours time.

Here is the smaller pond and larger house we put in this spring.

Some of the occupants of the houses and ponds...

And finally, my two broody ducks, who are in the first house shown. They are on day 10 of their nest sitting.
nice setup your ducks are so lucky!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Bellevue and welcome to BYC! I had a friend with a dozer dam up my spring run a few years back. Have trout in it also though it has become extra special since we got the ducks.

My indian runner duck Nancy (I was hoping for a girl, but..it's a boy, lol). Looking up at me from the box after I bought him :)

I liked to take him on walks around my college campus, but the concrete was hurting his feet pretty bad. So, I made him shoes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom