Post broody behavior check?

LaysnGwen

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
Gwen was an egg laying machine until the weather changed in Phoenix and she got broody. She was still laying eggs daily and I can’t remember if she stopped before or after I kicked her out of the nest for 2 days to stop the brooding. It was causing a lot of fights since I only have one box for the two so I just closed the door during the day once a fan and ice pack didn’t help.

She still had areas to lay eggs in the yard and I made another box that was in a different area just in case.
She not broody now but also not submitting or laying like usual. I also think she has a bit of runny poo, but it’s brown and thick for the past few weeks. Now there are loose feathers all over (I think she’s molting?) but it’s getting cold here in AZ, will she be ok?

Also should I treat the diarrhea? No one else has it.

Now there are loose feathers all over (I think she’s molting?) but it’s getting cold here in AZ, will she be ok?
Tis the season for molting. I had a hen in a hard molt when the days were in the 20s and the nights in single digits and she did fine.
She stayed in the coop after eating and hunkered down in the fluffy dry bedding. At night I would turn on the seedling heat mats in the nest boxes and place her in one for the night to make sure she didn't get too cold.
I would give her some water with electrolytes in it on the side in addition to plain clean water. You can also take a sample from her to your vet for a fecal float to see if she has any internal parasites.

Tis the season for molting. I had a hen in a hard molt when the days were in the 20s and the nights in single digits and she did fine.
She stayed in the coop after eating and hunkered down in the fluffy dry bedding. At night I would turn on the seedling heat mats in the nest boxes and place her in one for the night to make sure she didn't get too cold.
I would give her some water with electrolytes in it on the side in addition to plain clean water. You can also take a sample from her to your vet for a fecal float to see if she has any internal parasites.
Thank you so much for the review !! I’ll try the fecal float.
I’m happy to hear she’s going to be okay with her molt. It’s only 36 here at night at the lowest during the winter, so I feel better hearing your experience.

Changes in weather and environmental conditions, especially in a place like Phoenix where temperatures can be extreme, can affect chickens

Back
Top Bottom