Post broody mama hen being bullied

RachelKL

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
Hi all -

My broody mama hatched out her eggs five weeks ago today. After around 20 days post hatch she started to come out of her broodiness and after she restarted egg laying for a couple of days she got nasty with her chicks so I had to kick her out of the nursery and add her back to the flock.

While she was sitting on her eggs and after the chicks were hatched she was separated from the other hens but only with wire mesh between them both inside the coop and the little area I made outside too. I noticed one day my snarky silver lace wyandotte trying to fight with Mama through the barrier I'd set up outside which I thought was odd but didn't think too much of it as this particular silver laced is a brat.

But I found out quickly, right when I let Mama out from her penned area with the babies both of my silver laced ladies (Laverne and Shirley)) went after Mama HARD. Shirley has always been a jerk, when she was a tiny chick she would peck at ME when I put my hands in their pen. When my rooster mounts any hen she runs over and starts pecking at the other hens head. But after I let Mama out of her nursery area it was a whole other level of bully by Shirley. At this point Laverne is acting like a brat but not on the same level as Shirl.

Now Mama hen stays in the area where her chicks are but she still gets beat up if she tries to leave that area....they are free range and my silvers won't let her anywhere near them, food, the compost pile, garden, inside the coop, etc.

After 8 days I took shirley and quarantined her so we're on day 2 of that. Now Laverne is chasing Mama down and acting just like Shirley was. :(

When my mama hen first went broody I did notice my rooster was mad at her and would chase/peck at her but not the silver laced, they all used to be fine together and Susan (mama hen) was at the top of the pecking order. I'm super stumped by all this.

Ideas? I'm about to send Laverne and Shirley packing. :)

This is why it's good to reintroduce broody mama's with their chicks to the flock a week or so post hatch. There will almost always be some reshuffling of the pecking order at first as mama rejoins the flock.

Hi I am piggybacking off this post - how did it turn out for you??

I have two moms in one coop, 6 babies total between the two of them. (5 &4 weeks old) I’ve read that 4 weeks is a good age to start reintroducing to the flock. Well, there has been one hen on the outside that has been pretty pissy towards one mom. She’ll fight through the fence, although that seemed to have died down.. however today when I let everyone out, about 3 mins in that one snarky hen went at the mom.

They were going pretty hard, then the others in the flock started all attacking that one mom! I managed to grab the instigator and usher the moms and babies back in their coop.

I don’t know why that one hen started having problems with that mom.. when I let the moms out next time, should I have that one instigator separated somehow?

Interesting! Sounds like a similar situation.

I couldn't get Laverne and Shirl to stop attacking my mama hen, I tried several times to separate them to no avail so I re-homed both of them.

Best decision I could have made, there is peace in my flock and my chicks were able to mix in with the rest of my flock (at about 5-6 weeks) immediately after their departure with no problems.

Good luck with yours, I know it's stressful!!

I’m glad you have peace in the flock again! 😅 gosh it’s so stressful, and I know they need to do a little tussling, but knowing when to step in is tough.

I’ll try keeping the turd ones separated when I let the moms out and hopefully that’ll knock them down in the order

Back
Top Bottom